[Infowarrior] - Sci-Fi channel changing its name

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Mar 17 13:20:39 UTC 2009

Harumpf.   --rf

Source: http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/sci_fi_channel_aims_to_shed_ge.php

"In some universe, the name “Syfy” is less geeky than the name “Sci
Fi.” Dave Howe, president of the Sci Fi Channel, is betting it’s this
one....To that end, the 16-year-old network—owned by NBC Universal—
plans to announce that Syfy is its new name March 16 at its upfront
presentation to advertisers in New York."

< - >

...but here's the REAL reason, I suspect, for the change, according to
the article:

“It gives us a unique word and it gives us the opportunities to imbue
it with the values and the perception that we want it to have,” he
said."

*cough*   A term you can copyright, perhaps???  No, you wouldn't be
that obvious, would you?

.....oh, right:

"“We need an umbrella brand we can attach to new businesses: Sci Fi
games, Sci Fi kids. It does no use to attach ‘Sci Fi’ because there’s
hundreds of sci-fi Web sites and sci-fi publications. So it’s changing
your name without changing your name,” Mr. Howe said."

Owell - with BSG off the air after this week, there's nothing else on
SciFi that interests me there anyway @ the moment.