[Infowarrior] - Google bug shared private online documents

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Mar 10 17:40:04 UTC 2009

Google software bug shared private online documents
Mar 10 07:39 AM US/Eastern

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.54c3200989573ae4c9282658f91276df.481&show_article=1

Google has confirmed that a software bug exposed documents thought to
be privately stored in the Internet giant's online Docs application
service.

The problem was fixed by the weekend and is believed to have affected
only .05 percent of the digital documents at a Google Docs service
that provides text-handling programs as services on the Internet.

"We've identified and fixed a bug where a very small percentage of
users shared some of their documents inadvertently," Google Docs
Product Manager Jennifer Mazzon wrote in a message at the firm's
website on Saturday.

"We're sorry for the trouble this has caused. We understand our users'
concerns (in fact, we were affected by this bug ourselves) and we're
treating this very seriously."

The problem occurred in cases where people had chosen to collaborate
on multiple documents and adjusted settings to allow access to others,
according to Google.

Collaborators were unintentionally given permission to access
documents aside from the ones intended.

"As part of the fix, we used an automated process to remove
collaborators and viewers from the documents that we identified as
having been affected," Mazzon said.

"We then emailed the document owners to point them to their affected
documents in case they need to re-share them."

The slip comes as Google and other Internet firms entice people to
rely on applications offered online as services "in the cloud" instead
of buying software then installing and maintaining it on their own
machines.

While the trend toward cloud services is growing, some still worry
about the privacy of data kept online and whether it is shrewd to rely
on the Internet for access to information and applications.

Copyright AFP 2008, AFP stories and photos shall not be published,
broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed
directly or indirectly in any medium
Click here to buy text ads on Breitbart