[Infowarrior] - BSIMM: The Building Security In Maturity Model

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Mar 10 00:06:39 UTC 2009

(Free PDF/HTML download of the Model @ the site)

http://www.bsi-mm.com/

The Building Security In Maturity Model

The Building Security In Maturity Model (BSIMM) described on this
website is designed to help you understand and plan a software
security initiative. BSIMM was created through a process of
understanding and analyzing real-world data from nine leading software
security initiatives. Though particular methodologies differ (think
OWASP CLASP, Microsoft SDL, or the Cigital Touchpoints), many
initiatives share common ground. This common ground is captured and
described in BSIMM. As an organizing feature, we introduce and use a
Software Security Framework (SSF), which provides a conceptual
scaffolding for BSIMM. Properly used, BSIMM can help you determine
where your organization stands with respect to real-world software
security initiatives and what steps can be taken to make your approach
more effective.

BSIMM is not a complete "how to" guide for software security, nor is
it a one size fits all model. Instead, BSIMM is a collection of good
ideas and activities that are in use today.

Software security is the result of many activities. People, process,
and automation are all required. The SSF and BSIMM together allow us
to discuss the myriad activities without becoming mired in details. To
that end, we believe a simple approach that gets to the heart of the
matter trumps an exhaustive approach with a Byzantine result.

A maturity model is appropriate because improving software security
almost always means changing the way an organization works—something
that doesn't happen overnight. BSIMM provides a way to assess the
state of an organization, prioritize changes, and demonstrate
progress. We understand that not all organizations need to achieve the
same security goals, but we believe all organizations can be measured
with the same yardstick.

http://www.bsi-mm.com/