[Infowarrior] - TV pitchman Billy Mays dead

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jun 29 00:52:37 UTC 2009

Wow....what a week!!!

-rf

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/28/AR2009062800820_pf.html

Infomercial King Had the Perfect Pitch

By Joe Holley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 29, 2009

Billy Mays, the bearded, boisterous pitchman who, as the undisputed
king of TV yell and sell, became an unlikely pop culture icon, died
yesterday at his Tampa home at age 50. Tampa police told the
Associated Press that his wife discovered him unresponsive early
yesterday morning. A fire rescue crew pronounced him dead at 7:45 a.m.

The man many TV viewers knew as "the OxiClean guy" was among the
passengers on a US Airways flight that made a rough landing Saturday
afternoon at Tampa International Airport. Mr. Mays told Tampa's Fox TV
affiliate that something fell from the ceiling and hit him on the
head, "but I got a hard head." A police spokeswoman said linking his
death to the rough landing would "purely be speculation."

As often as 400 times a week, his "Hi! Billy Mays here!" signaled yet
another paean to Mighty Putty, Simoniz Fix It scratch remover, the Big
City Slider Station, the Handy Switch, the Awesome Auger and numerous
other "As Seen on TV" products. In a 2008 profile of Mr. Mays, The
Washington Post noted that top pitchmen get about $20,000 upfront for
each commercial they tape, although Mr. Mays made even more money from
a commission on gross revenue. He refused to be specific about his
annual income, although Forbes magazine said his efforts accounted for
more than $1 billion in combined sales for the products he pitched.

Recently, he was featured on the Discovery Channel reality show
"Pitchmen," which follows Mr. Mays and Anthony Sullivan, his business
partner and producer, as they entice viewers with such new gadgets as
the Impact Gel shoe insert, the Tool Band-It and the Soft Buns
portable seat cushion.

"One of the things that we hope to do with 'Pitchmen' is to give
people an appreciation of what we do," he told the Tampa Tribune this
year. "I don't take on a product unless I believe in it. I use
everything that I sell."

He was born William D. Mays Jr. in McKees Rocks, Pa., and grew up in
Pittsburgh, where he was a high school football player. He dropped out
of West Virginia University and worked for his father's hazardous-
waste trucking company. In 1983, he ran into a high school friend who
was headed to Atlantic City to sell Ginsu knives on the boardwalk, at
the time a pitchman's mecca. Mr. Mays went along for the ride and
ended up becoming a pitchman himself.

He worked for a company called International Housewares; the first
product he pitched was WashMatik, a hose that could pump water from a
bucket without being hooked up to a faucet. He told The Post that he
wasn't much of a salesman at first. He spent too much time describing
the product and not enough time "chilling 'em down" -- that is,
getting potential buyers to fork over their money.

After a few years with the WashMatik, he spent five years pitching the
Ultimate Chopper at home shows and state fairs across the country. His
demonstration involved "ballying," as the pitchman sales banter is
known, at full volume for hours on end and then making salsa with the
kitchen tool. Along the way, he met Max Appel, an inventor and
pitchman who was selling Orange Glo, a wood-polishing liquid. When
Appel asked Mr. Mays to pitch his product on the Home Shopping
Network, he sold 6,000 units in 11 minutes, at $18 a piece. He was on
his way to superstardom.

He reached the pinnacle of pitchman success in 1999, when he did a two-
minute commercial for the all-purpose OxiClean, which Appel had
created. Appel would later sell his company, which included OxiClean
and other products, for $325 million. By then, Mr. Mays had become an
infomercial phenom.

His marriage to Dolores "Dee Dee" Mayes ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Deborah Mays, of Tampa.