[Infowarrior] - Generation Y: We're just not that into Twitter

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jun 23 17:34:18 UTC 2009

  June 23, 2009 9:00 AM PDT
Generation Y: We're just not that into Twitter
by Sharon Vaknin
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10265060-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Given that Generation Y is often pegged as narcissistic, lazy, having
high expectations, craving the limelight, and other such flattering
characterizations, one might expect we'd be Twittering as if it were
breathing. After all, Twitter is known as a place where people expose
the most minute details of their lives--missing the bus, stubbing a
toe, toasting an English muffin.

But a recent survey from Pace University and the Participatory Media
Network shows that only 22 percent of 18- to 24-year-olds use Twitter,
while 99 percent have profiles on social networks.

This may seem surprising on the face of it, but as a member of the
Millennial Generation myself, I have some theories as to why it might
be true. To see why we're not into Twitter, I'll have to revisit the
start of the social-networking timeline: MySpace.

We Gen Yers spent hours on MySpace customizing our profiles and making
them perfect representations of us (or rather, who we wanted to be).
We couldn't wait for our friends to comment a new photo: "New pic,
please comment!" MySpace made many of us feel popular, or even famous.
I remember posting a new profile picture and refreshing the page in
anticipation of responses.

Jean Twenge, psychologist and author of "The Narcissism Epidemic:
Living in the Age of Entitlement," calls this phenomenon "self-
branding." People use MySpace as a portal for creating their own
personal brand, Twenge says, complete with photos, custom banners,
gossip, and fans (friends). One of the most successful self-branders
is Tila Tequila, who tactfully used MySpace to achieve status as one
of the users with the most friends on the site, and later parlayed
that fame into a career as an MTV reality star.

Though we weren't international superstars, my friends and I were
content on MySpace. But fast-forward a couple years to Facebook. It
proved to be a difficult transition: where were all the flashing
graphics, purple fonts, and exhaustive, multimedia-laden About Me
sections? Why weren't the number of photo comments shown? Every user's
profile looks the same, and at a glance, it seems self-branding is not
easily attained.

The clean design of Facebook deemed decked-out profiles and artsy
photos passe, but the site provided us with a new form of self-
expression--"What are you doing?" status updates, which became the new
platform for what Twenge describes as my generation's narcissistic
need for attention.

What Facebook intends as a forum for sharing, Gen Yers see as a game
of show-off. A quick look at my news feed and I see "Melissa" (name
changed to protect the innocent) is having "one of the funnest nights
of her life," and "beer and vodka make a interesting combination oww."
'Nuff said.

Brendon Nemeth, a 22-year-old San Franciscan whom I met this spring,
says he updates his status to "keep family and friends informed on
what's going on that's interesting in my life."

We no longer impress our friends with profiles that represent us
through our creative flourishes, but rather with profiles that spell
out what we're doing. (Out of fairness, our status updates don't
always revolve around happenings at the local bar; plenty of us want
to share our work promotions or volunteer activities, too.)

When Facebook implemented its news feed, users formed groups to oppose
the feature. Now our status updates are lost in a flood of
information, including quiz results, wall posts (not our own), and
links. An update is posted, two minutes pass, and it's nowhere to be
seen. Some of us even resort to reposting our updates just so they
grab the attention they deserve.

On her blog, Twenge suggests that the kids of Gen Y aren't interested
in their community, they are interested in themselves: "Younger
generations are more individualistic and are higher in self-esteem and
narcissism. There have been no changes in 'communal' traits."

I'd have to agree. We do anticipate seeing our friends' activities,
but what we really look forward to is what they think of our
activities--we want to be "cyberstalked," preferably in the form of
replies to our self-published content. Nemeth says that "there are
times when I update my status to induce a reaction." Reactions are
what drive us to add photos, update our status, and write on our
friends' walls.

So where does Twitter fit in?

Twitter's microblogging platform is what many Gen Y's may describe as
"like Facebook, but just the status update." What is the point of
that? We like to consolidate, so Nemeth explains that he doesn't "want
to join another community, just tell people what (he's) doing." We
have everything we need on Facebook.

Based on Twenge's theory, a good explanation of my generation's lag in
joining the Twitter mania is that there isn't an obvious way to
achieve a self-brand on Twitter.

Participating on Twitter requires a fan base that knows why you are
unique, special, and deserve attention. Fan base aside, the Web site's
interface paves a short path for cyberstalking--there is nothing to
find past a user's status.

For example, Sally went to a great party last weekend, but where are
the photos? Who went with her? These features, which Gen Y's value so
much, are missing.

As much as I like to know what my friends are doing, updates on
Twitter happen so fast there really isn't time to react. More
importantly, my friends don't have time to react to my activities.

Largely as a result of the digital communication tools on which we
were raised, a big part of my generation wants to know what the
cyberworld thinks of us, and we want its inhabitants to pay attention
to us. How can they do this if they're following 300 other people?

For the Millennials to make the move, Twitter will have to find a way
to integrate the self-branding features MySpace gave birth to and
Facebook nurtured. Even if they're packaged in 140 characters or less.

Sharon Vaknin is the CNET Labs' go-to intern. When she's not testing
MP3 players, blogging, or making the lab look presentable, she can be
found playing computer games. Sharon formerly worked for Best Buy and
is currently studying journalism at San Francisco State University. E-
mail Sharon.