[Infowarrior] - Congressional paranoia hysterics

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jun 23 11:41:38 UTC 2009

(here's another example of fear-based proposals.....what about when a
terrorist invents a plexiglass-dissolving pen ink that can melt that
shield before tossing in their bomb?  do we need plexiglass-shielding
shields?   What's next? Worrying about the theft of our precious
bodily fluids by a rogue tourist? ---rf)

Congressman proposes enclosing Capitol gallery in Plexiglas
By John Byrne

Published: June 22, 2009

http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/06/22/congressman-proposes-enclosing-capitol-in-plexiglas/

A Republican Indiana congressman has a new plan to protect members of
Congress from a terrorist attack: enclose the Capitol gallery with a
Plexiglas shield.

In a little-noticed proposed amendment to a bill last week, Rep. Dan
Burton (R-IN) sought a study to examine the feasibility of enclosing
the Capitol gallery chamber with a protective shield.

“What this bill does is it would authorize a study to look at
enclosing the chamber, the gallery chamber, with Plexiglas so that
somebody can’t throw a bomb down on the floor and kill a lot of us,”
Burton told the Rules Committee Thursday.

To the shock of onlooking congressmembers, Burton described how a
terrorist could kill the lot of them. Someone could kill “half the
Members of Congress right now,” he said.

“You could take a detonating device that looks like a watch so you
could get through the metal detector,” Burton explained. “And when
everybody was on the floor, as many as you wanted, you could put that
into the plastic explosive, toss it out on the floor, and there is no
way you would lose half of us if we were on the floor, at least, or
more. I don’t know how much damage it would do.”

Plexiglas, he said, would protect legislators from a disaster –“and
you can do it in a way that would be very attractive,” he quipped.
“They do it in the Knesset in Israel.”

The Washington Post’s Mary Ann Akers noted: “Before rejecting his
amendment, members of the committee stared at Burton dumbfounded,
according to sources in the room, as if wondering to themselves how to
delicately explain to the Indiana Republican that he may be more in
need of Xanax than Plexiglas.”

Burton’s spokesman was quoted as saying his boss “hoped the Rules
Committee would think outside the box.”

The Indiana legislator is most famously known for re-enacting the
alleged murder of former Clinton aide Vince Foster by using a gun and
a melon (the type of melon is in dispute).