[Infowarrior] - Comment: CCV2 lunacy

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Jun 18 15:11:19 UTC 2009

Thought I'd raise an old question based on something I just read when
checking out at online merchant:

"CVV2 is a authentication technique established by credit card
companies to reduce credit card fraud. The CVV2 numbers are an
additional set of numbers which are printed on the card. These numbers
are not recorded when your card is manually imprinted or run through a
magnetic reader. This makes them much harder to steal than the rest of
the credit number."

Okay.  Therefore, the question remains:  if the use of the CCV2 is is
to prevent CC fraud at retail points of sale in stores/restaurants
when the card is physically presented, doesnt asking for the CVV2
number when presenting it virtually over the Internet only shift the
target of opportunity (point of vulnerability) to the web merchants
who ask and collect all that information? Isn't this just more
security kibuki?

...and yet we continue to play along with this practice.    Moo.

-rf