[Infowarrior] - At a Border Crossing, Security Trumps Openness

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jul 27 14:14:44 UTC 2009

At a Border Crossing, Security Trumps Openness
By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF

MASSENA, N.Y. — It has been nearly eight years since the 9/11
terrorist attacks, but the fears and anxieties they gave rise to
continue to take a toll on the design of public buildings. Even the
words “United States,” it seems — when spelled out in the wrong size
and color — can be an unacceptable security risk.

Four years ago, when the federal General Services Administration
unveiled its plans for a new border-crossing station here in
northeastern New York State, the design was presented as part of the
agency’s campaign to raise the dismal standards of government
architecture. Even many in the famously fractious architectural
community celebrated the complex — particularly its main building,
emblazoned with glossy yellow, 21-foot-high letters spelling “United
States” — as a rare project the government could point to with pride.

The Customs and Border Protection agency of the Department of Homeland
Security seemed to like it too. After years of working closely with
the architects, the New York firm of Smith-Miller & Hawkinson, the
agency signed off on the final version of the project in 2007.

Yet three weeks ago, less than a month after the station opened,
workers began prying the big yellow letters off the building’s facade
on orders from Customs and Border Protection. The plan is to dismantle
the rest of the sign this week.

“At the end of the day, I think they were somewhat surprised at how
bold and how bright it was,” said Les Shepherd, the chief architect of
the General Services Administration, referring to the customs agency’s
sudden turnaround.

“There were security concerns,” said Kelly Ivahnenko, a spokeswoman
for the customs agency. “The sign could be a huge target and attract
undue attention. Anything that would place our officers at risk we
need to avoid.”

< - >

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/arts/design/27border.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print