[Infowarrior] - Three Levels Beyond Kernel Rootkits

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Jul 18 23:50:40 UTC 2009

Exclusive Interview: Going Three Levels Beyond Kernel Rootkits

Today we have the pleasure of chatting with Joanna Rutkowska, one of
the top computing security innovators in the world. She is the founder
and CEO of Invisible Things Lab (ITL), a boutique computer security
consulting and research firm.
Alan: Joanna, thanks for taking the time to chat. Let's start with the
basics for our readers. You've carved out a niche in the security
world with your expertise on stealthy attacks, such as rootkits, and
more recently by exposing vulnerabilities with virtual machines and
low-level hardware. But before we go into all of this, why don't you
tell us a little bit about yourself?

Joanna: I'm a researcher focusing on system-level security issues like
the kernel, hypervisor, chipset, etc.  Researcher--not a bug hunter or
a pen-tester. I'm more interested in fundamental problems rather then
specific bugs affecting specific user software. For example, can the
OS/platform provide any security to the user, despite its apps such as
Adobe Reader or IE being potentially compromised? I believe in
“Security by Isolation.”

Business-wise, I'm a founder and director of Invisible Things Lab
(ITL), a boutique security research and consulting firm. I'm very
proud of the team I managed to create at ITL, which includes Alexander
Tereshkin and Rafal Wojtczuk, who are two of the most skilled
researchers in the field of system-level security.

Recently, I've been becoming less and less of a "debugger-attached-
researcher," gravitating towards a higher-level role, which is needed
to supervise the work done by my team. I enjoy this new role of a
director a lot, in fact.

< - >

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/joanna-rutkowska-rootkit,2356.html