[Infowarrior] - State Dept. workers beg Clinton for Firefox

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jul 14 02:26:35 UTC 2009

US State Dept. workers beg Clinton for Firefox

By Cade Metz • Get more from this author
Posted in Government, 13th July 2009 20:11 GMT

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/13/firefox_and_us_state_department/

US State Department workers have begged Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton to let them use Firefox.

"Can you please let the staff use an alternative web browser called
Firefox?" worker bee Jim Finkle asked Clinton during Friday's State
Department town hall meeting.

"I just moved to the State Department from the National Geospatial
Intelligence Agency and was surprised that State doesn’t use this
browser. It was approved for the entire intelligence community, so I
don’t understand why State can’t use it. It’s a much safer program."

Presumably, the State Department is using Microsoft's Internet
Explorer. And we wouldn't be surprised if it's still mired in the
eight-year-old IE6. The only thing that moves slower than Orange is a
US government agency. But the State Department has yet to respond to
our questions about its Firefox-less browsing mandate.

Finkle's fellow workers responded to his Firefox request with
applause. While Clinton responded with bewilderment. "Well,
apparently, there’s a lot of support for this suggestion. I don’t know
the answer. Pat, do you know the answer?" she said, turning to under
Secretary Pat Kennedy.

"The answer is, at the moment: It’s an expense question," Kennedy
said. Then someone in the audience pointed out that Firefox is free.

"Nothing is free," Kennedy responded. "It’s a question of the
resources to manage multiple systems. It is something we’re looking
at...It has to be administered. The patches have to be loaded. It may
seem small, but when you’re running a worldwide operation and trying
to push, as the Secretary rightly said, out FOBs [for remote log-ins]
and other devices, you’re caught in the terrible bind of triage of
trying to get the most out that you can, but knowing you can’t do
everything at once."

Clinton then told her staff to have a look through their closets. "The
more money we can save on stuff that is not cutting edge, the more
resources we’ll have to shift to do things that will give us more
tools," she said.

"[That reminds] me of what I occasionally sometimes do, which I call
shopping in my closet, which means opening doors and seeing what I
actually already have, which I really suggest to everybody, because
it’s quite enlightening. And so when you go to the store and you buy,
let’s say, peanut butter and you don’t realize you’ve got two jars
already at the back of the shelf – I mean, that sounds simplistic, but
help us save money on stuff that we shouldn’t be wasting money on, and
give us the chance to manage our resources to do more things like
Firefox, okay?"

If the State Department buys less peanut butter, Clinton may even let
them use Facebook. During a state department town hall meeting earlier
this year, a bigwig at the US embassy in Mexico City told Clinton that
the social networking site is a great way to prevent solipsistic
stupid people from entering the country.

"Facebook, MySpace, and other web 2.0 social networking technologies
will significantly enhance the Department’s diplomacy efforts and
business goals," he said. "For example, an astute consular officer in
Hermosillo recently used Facebook to determine a visa applicant’s
ineligibility based on information contained on the applicant’s
Facebook page, proving its value as an anti-fraud tool."

And Clinton seemed to like the idea. "We’ve got to figure out how
we’re going to be smarter about using technology. So I think that’s a
great example, the Facebook example. And you know, we might want to
follow up on that example, checking out Facebook. For everybody who is
applying for a visa, you just should know that the State Department is
on the watch here for Facebook."

No doubt, the State Department will officially adopt Facebook at about
the same time the revenue-challenged site follows Friendster into
social networking oblivion. ®