[Infowarrior] - Ex-Goldman Programmer Detailed His Code Downloads to FBI Agent

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jul 10 12:35:32 UTC 2009

Ex-Goldman Programmer Detailed His Code Downloads to FBI Agent

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aSDxSdMlPTXU

By David Glovin and David Scheer

July 10 (Bloomberg) -- Sergey Aleynikov, the former Goldman Sachs
Group Inc. computer programmer arrested last week for stealing
software, told an FBI agent he uploaded proprietary code to an
encrypted server he had used on “multiple occasions.”

Aleynikov, 39, told the agent around 1 a.m. on July 4 that he had
logged into Goldman’s computers through remote access from his home
and sent encrypted files to a repository server with the URL
identifier svn.xp-dev.com, according to a copy of his FBI statement in
court files in Manhattan federal court.

Xp-dev.com is registered to London resident Roopinder Singh, who
describes himself on a blog linked to the site as a trading systems
developer working in London’s financial services industry. The site
offers “subversion hosting,” letting users track current and previous
versions of programming code and other documents.

Singh told his customers in the blog yesterday that he’d been
contacted by “local UK authorities,” who had seized his hard drives to
examine them and shut his service down for 45 hours, beginning on July
6, two days after Aleynikov’s arrest.

“It turns out that some idiotic moron a user had uploaded data on to
the service that he/she was not authorized to have,” he said, crossing
out the words “some idiotic moron.” “This is your basic intellectual
property theft case here.”

Singh didn’t immediately respond to phone calls and e- mails. FBI
spokesman Jim Margolin and Rebekah Carmichael, a spokeswoman for
Acting U.S. Attorney Lev Dassin, declined to comment.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Facciponti said at Aleynikov’s
arraignment July 4 that the alleged theft is the “most substantial”
that the bank can recall.

‘Worth Millions’

“The proprietary code, worth millions of dollars, lets the firm do
“sophisticated, high-speed and high-volume trades on various stock and
commodities markets,” prosecutors said in court papers. Facciponti
said a person misusing the code might be able to “manipulate markets.”

On his personal blog, Singh wrote that he provides his service free
and that any code stored there is kept safe and encrypted before being
backed up every night “off-site.”

Aleynikov, who holds dual U.S. and Russian citizenship, told the agent
the files he sent to Singh’s server “have been not shared with any
person or corporation” and that it “was not my intent be involved in
any malicious action.”

Facciponti said at the arraignment that Aleynikov transferred the code
to a computer server in Germany and that others may have had access to
it, a claim that Aleynikov denied in his statement to the Federal
Bureau of Investigation agent, Michael McSwain. The prosecutor said
the U.S. was investigating whether other code was sent to the server.

Internet records indicate Singh’s Web site is located in Bavaria.

Other Instances

Aleynikov told McSwain he used the server on other instances.

“I have uploaded files to svn.xp-dev.com on multiple occasions over
the last couple months,” Aleynikov said in the FBI statement. The
phrase, “over the last couple months” is crossed out.

It was unclear if he used the server to store Goldman software or
other code.

“The files that are proprietary information of Goldman Sachs has not
been shared with any individual or corporation,” Aleynikov repeated
near the conclusion of the three-page statement.

In the statement, Aleynikov laid out what had happened from the
downloading of the files to their transfer to the server and his
retrieval of them from it. He said that on June 5 he “created a
tarball in an effort to collect open source work on Goldman Sachs
server to which I had an account.”

Tarball

A tar file, which is sometimes called a tarball, is a compressed file.

“I had previously worked on the files,” he said.

He said he encrypted the files, then erased the encryption software
and the tarball.

“I then erased the bash history,” he said, referring to a method of
recalling commands used in previous computer sessions.

Goldman security measures prevent such deletions, which tipped the
firm off to his activities, prosecutors said.

Aleynikov said in his statement that he downloaded the Goldman
software to his home computer, his laptop computer and his thumb drive.

“The reason I uploaded to svn.xp-dev.com was because it was not
blocked by Goldman Sachs security policy,” Aleynikov wrote. The
phrase, “not blocked by Goldman Sachs security policy,” was crossed
out and he added: “I wanted to inspect the work later in a more usable
environment.”

More Than Intended

Aleynikov said that he later opened the files to inspect them.

“At that point I realized that I downloaded more files than I
intended,” he said.

Aleynikov, who lives in New Jersey, was arrested on July 3 after
arriving at Liberty International Airport in Newark. He was charged
with stealing the trading software and is free on a $750,000 bond.

Teza Technologies LLC, a Chicago-based firm co-founded by a former
Citadel Investment Group LLC trader, said after his arrest that it had
suspended Aleynikov, who started there on July 2. Aleynikov had told
co-workers at Goldman that he was joining a new firm at triple his
salary of $400,000 a year.

Michael DuVally, a spokesman for New York-based Goldman, declined to
comment.

Aleynikov said Teza wasn’t involved. “I have signed an agreement with
my new employer not to bring any unlicensed software,” he said. “I
have not violated that agreement.”

Studied Math

Aleynikov studied applied mathematics at the Moscow Institute of
Transportation Engineering before transferring to Rutgers University,
where he received a bachelor’s degree in computer science in 1993 and
a master’s of science degree, specializing in medical image processing
and neural networks, in 1996, according to his profile on the social-
networking site LinkedIn.

Before joining Goldman Sachs, he worked for about eight years at IDT
Corp., the U.S. vendor of prepaid calling cards, where he led the team
responsible for developing routing systems, according to the profile.

His profile on LinkedIn describes him as a vice president in equity
strategy at Goldman Sachs and includes two recommendations from
colleagues at the firm.

The case is U.S. v. Aleynikov, U.S. District Court, Southern District
of New York (Manhattan).

To contact the reporters on this story: David Glovin in New York
federal court at dglovin at bloomberg.net; David Scheer in New York at dscheer at bloomberg.net
;

Last Updated: July 10, 2009 00:01 EDT