[Infowarrior] - Yahoo Announces It Will Shut GeoCities

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jul 10 11:45:21 UTC 2009

Friday July 10, 2009
Yahoo Announces It Will Shut GeoCities

http://www.appscout.com/2009/07/yahoo_announces_it_will_shut_g.php

The Google search result I got around a minute ago was headlined
"Yahoo! GeoCities: Get a web site with easy-to-use site building
tools." That's gonna change.

GeoCities is closing on October 26, 2009.
On October 26, 2009, your GeoCities site will no longer appear on the
Web, and you will no longer be able to access your GeoCities account
and files.

If you'd like to move your web site, or save the images and other
files you've posted online, please act now by downloading your files
or upgrading to Yahoo! Web Hosting.

For many GeoCities was where our first website lived. It could also be
considereed one of the web's first communities. Originally divided
into neighborhoods (which seemed reminiscent of the worst of
California tract housing), it was a place where you could attempt to
communicate with the world on a static page you got for free. Later
the neighborhoods gave way to a more modern, easier and meaningful: www.geocities.com/username
.

With limited tools, obtrusive banner ads and tight bandwidth
limitations a popular site risked getting throttled and living out
Yogi Berra's admonition, "No one goes there anymore - it's too
crowded." I can't remember the last time I saw a live GeoCities page.

Yahoo! is the current proprietor of the site--a business they
purchased in the late 90s for nearly $3.6 billion. Seriously, what
were they thinking?

They're suggesting GeoCities' users move to Yahoo! Web Hosting. It's
one last try to get some cash out of the site.

How sadly final of Yahoo to say "GeoCities site will no longer appear
on the Web."

The name GeoCities will continue bring back fond memories for lots of
the web's early adopters, but like the recent Compuserve announcement
most of us thought it was already gone!