[Infowarrior] - Mirror of RIAA deposition of Tannenbaum

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jul 7 12:08:27 UTC 2009

(Nesson does a great job here in keeping the RIAA hounds in check.
But in moving to get this file 'off' the Internet, it shows that the
RIAA clowns STILL don't understand the nature of the Internet or the
Streissand Effect.  Is it any wonder they're resorting to litigation
to save their business models? They just don't know any better!
Bravo to Charles Nesson!   --rf )

52MB MP3 Source: Thoughts on Joel Tenenbaum’s Deposition
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/cyberone/2008/09/25/thoughts-on-joel-tenenbaums-deposition/

52MB file mirror:   http://infowarrior.org/users/rforno/mirror/tennebaum-nesson.mp3

====

Threat Level Privacy, Crime and Security Online
RIAA Seeks Web Removal of ‘Illegal’ Court Recordings
By David Kravets
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/07/nesson/

The Recording Industry Association of America on Monday demanded a
federal judge order Harvard University’s Charles Nesson to remove from
the internet “unauthorized and illegal recordings” of pretrial
hearings and depositions in a file-sharing lawsuit headed to trial.

“Enough is enough. For the past five months, this court has repeatedly
warned defense counsel regarding his insistence on engaging
unauthorized and illegal recordings of counsel and proceedings in this
case,” RIAA attorney Daniel Cloherty wrote (.pdf) U.S. District Judge
Nancy Gertner of Massachusetts. Cloherty urged the court to sanction
Nesson, the founder of the 12-year-old Berkman Center for Internet and
Society at Harvard University.

“The idea that a court is being asked by them to order educational
material to be removed from the Berkman Center for Internet and
Society website seems a questionable intrusion both on my liberty and
the public interest,” said Nesson in a telephone interview. “I
certainly don’t agree that I am violating any law.”

The case concerns former Boston University student Joel Tenenbaum, who
Nesson is defending in an RIAA civil lawsuit accusing him of file-
sharing copyrighted music. Jury selection is scheduled in three weeks,
in what is shaping up to be the RIAA’s second of about 30,000 cases
against individuals to reach trial.

The labels, represented by the RIAA, on Monday cited a series of
examples in which they accuse Nesson of violating court orders and
privacy laws by posting audio to his blog or to the Berkman site.
Among them, they include:

	• In a 2008 deposition of his client, “a surreptitious recording,”
that included “confidential communications between the attorneys
involved in the case.”
	• A January telephone conversation between the judge and RIAA lawyers
“without the prior consent of participants.”
	• The July 1 deposition of defense copyright expert John Palfrey,
which Nesson was also simultaneously twittering.
	• The July 2-3 deposition of defense peer-to-peer expert Johan
Pouwelse, which Nesson is accused of videotaping.
Judge Gertner, in February, issued an order in response to RIAA
complaints about  unauthorized recordings. “The parties are advised
that any such recording without permission of participants, as well as
the broadcast of such communications, runs afoul” (pdf) of state law.
On June 16, Gertner said such taping was a “violation of the law.”

Still, Nesson took Monday’s court filing in stride. At one point, he
said he had been “unaware” of the Massachusetts law requiring all
parties of a communication consent to its recording.

“I have to say I was completely unaware of this Massachusetts law.
When I dug into this thing, I am amazed to what it purports to be,”
said Nesson, who is defending the Tenenbaum case for free.

He labeled as “gobbledygook” the felony privacy law that is punishable
by up to five years in prison.

“That is so outrageously unconstitutional that I would prefer myself
to honor the United States Constitution and take my chances that
recording a conversation with a judge in a federal case and opposing
lawyers is somehow in violation of a Massachusetts statute that makes
me a felon,” Nesson said.

Nesson, who has attempted but so far failed to get the upcoming trial
and pretrial proceedings webcast, said the lawsuit’s proceedings
should be in the public domain.

“I’m opening it up,” he said. “That’s what I founded the Berkman
Center to fight for.”