[Infowarrior] - Pirate Bay Hit With DDoS Attack After "Selling Out"

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Jul 1 12:56:59 UTC 2009

Pirate Bay Hit With DDoS Attack After "Selling Out"
8:01 AM - July 1, 2009 by Jane McEntegart

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pirate-Bay-DDoS-Sell-Out,
8173.html#xtor=RSS-181

Yesterday news hit that the four co-founders of The Pirate Bay were
selling the site to Global Gaming Factory X AB for nearly $7.8 million
and users didn’t exactly bow down to their new leaders.
The vast majority of users think that the sales represents a sell out
on behalf of The Pirate Bay co-founders who have been bogged down with
legal battles for months. Sentenced to a year each in prison and
ordered to pay upwards of $3 million in fines, many regular users of
The Pirate Bay think that this is a “take the money and run” solution
for Fredrik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, Peter Sunde and Carl
Lundström.

Further fueling speculation that the deal was a death knell for TPB,
the site was down for long periods of time yesterday. Some figured it
was because the site was getting so many hits in light of the news and
others assumed it was TPB shutting down. In fact, it was a DDoS attack
from disappointed users.

Spokesperson for the group Peter Sunde confirmed via his Twitter that
yesterday that the reason for the down time was a DDoS. In response to
one user who asked if a DDoS attack was why he couldn’t access the
site, Sunde replied, “Yup, DDoS. Understand the people doing it as
well. I hope people will calm down and understand what it means
logically instead...”

Unfortunately, Sunde wasn’t as calm and understanding throughout the
day. Tweets from his Twitter account rang from, “We've been asking
people to open more trackers, nothing happens.We've been fighting for
five years. Where's the thanks?” to “#spectrial is still a spectacle
and we need all the support we can get. I f**king cried earlier that
people don't understand us.”