[Infowarrior] - NetSol DNS DDOS Outage causes Internet Problems

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Jan 24 05:13:17 UTC 2009

Network Solutions Under Large Scale DDoS Attack, Millions of Websites
Potentially Unreachable

     * Jan 23, 2009 2:55 PM PST

http://www.circleid.com/posts/print/20090123_network_solutions_down_ddos_attack/

By CircleID Reporter

Update Received from Network Solutions Jan 23, 2009 7:27PM PST
"DNS queries for web sites should be responding normally. Thank you
all for your understanding. As always, we will continue to work to
take measures to prevent these and other types of technical issues
caused by third parties that may impact our customers."

* * *

Network Solutions is having problems with "all" its name servers,
according to their tech support and a recent post on North American
Network Operators' Group (NANOG) mailing list indicates that it has
been under very large-scale UDP/53 DDoS attack for the last 48 hour
period. As a result, domain names hosted with Network Solutions'
Worldnic have been affected.

Network Solutions is one of the leading domain registrars and DNS
hosting providers in the world, managing more than 7.6 million domain
names.

Update Received from Network Solutions Jan 23, 2009 2:58 PM PST
Shashi Bellamkonda of network Soltions has provided CircleID the
following update: "I posted an update on our blog (http://cli.gs/
V12h9p) and we have been communicating to our customers on Twitter (http://twitter.com/netsolcares
) and have an IVR giving customers an update. The update is: There is
a spike in DNS query volumes that is causing latency for the delay in
web sites resolving. This is a result of a DDOS attack. We are taking
measures to mitigate the attack and speed up queries."