[Infowarrior] - Ebook DRM provider goes dark, books disappear

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jan 9 03:50:11 UTC 2009

(Is why I still prefer hardcopy to PDF, and hardbacks to Kindle.  And
why none of my books ever released electronically had any DRM
whatsoever.....much to my publishers' annoyance. I told 'em whatever a
customer could do with a real book is what I wanted them to do with
the electronic version.  --rf)

Ebook DRM provider goes dark, the books you paid for disappear

Posted by Cory Doctorow, January 8, 2009 12:55 PM | permalink

Hudson sez, "Fictionwise used Overdrive to provide DRM encrypted
ebooks to their customers and Overdrive has informed them that they
will be shutdown on 30 January with no reason given. Since Fictionwise
doesn't have the decryption keys, they are not able to provide new
versions of the books to all customers."

     Fictionwise strives to maintain your purchases indefinitely, but
our terms of service do not guarantee they will be available forever.
Forever is a long time. We have control of our MultiFormat files and
we have control of the Secure eReader format, so that gives us the
ability to ensure we will continue to be able to deliver those formats
to you. However, as noted above, other formats are delivered through
third party aggregators. We do not have legal control of those third
party servers. If those third party servers "go dark" for one reason
or another, we have no way to continue delivering those files.

And publishers wonder why their customers rip books off on #bookwarez
sites rather than paying for them...

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/08/ebook-drm-provider-g.html