[Infowarrior] - Rare peek at DHS's files on travelers

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Jan 7 15:23:18 UTC 2009

A rare peek at Homeland Security's files on travelers
Posted by: Sean O'Neill, Monday, Dec 22, 2008, 12:12 PM

The oversize white envelope bore the blue logo of the Department of
Homeland Security. Inside, I found 20 photocopies of the government's
records on my international travels. Every overseas trip I've taken
since 2001 was noted.

I had requested the files after I had heard that the government tracks
"passenger activity." Starting in the mid-1990s, many airlines handed
over passenger records. Since 2002, the government has mandated that
the commercial airlines deliver this information routinely and
electronically.

< - >

http://current.newsweek.com/budgettravel/2008/12/whats_in_your_government_trave.html