[Infowarrior] - DvD Jon's newest Mac app

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Feb 25 03:29:48 UTC 2009

(App link: http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt)

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/02/24/dvd-jons-doubletwist-sends-and-shares-your-media/

DVD Jon's Doubletwist sends and shares your media

by Mike Schramm on Feb 24th 2009

Why, you might wonder, would we want another media program -- isn't
iTunes enough? But a new app called Doubletwist (by DVD Jon, creator
of the old DeCSS DRM-stripping software) looks to answer that question
by taking an iTunes-style interface, and expanding it to pretty much
anything you'd want to do with media -- send it to your own phones and
portable devices, upload it to sites like Facebook or YouTube, or even
send it off to your friends, even those who don't have the app. We
first heard about Doubletwist about a year ago, but there wasn't a Mac
version to speak of (so who cares, right?).

But the Mac version is now out in public beta, and it's pretty
impressive -- you can basically ignore file types, formats, or
anything else that would keep you from sending a video, audio, or
photo file from your computer out into the great blue yonder. There
are a few other screencasts floating around as well, including this
demo of the way the app works with pretty much any device you want,
from iPod to Blackberry to even Android, the Sony PSP, and soon, the
Nintendo DSi.

It seems very enticing (though I'm doubtful that all of the video
converting and sharing really goes as fast as it looks in the video).
But if you want to find out for yourself, have at it -- DoubleTwist is
currently a free beta download for Intel 10.5 and up users.