[Infowarrior] - USAF unplugging bases from Internet

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Feb 19 04:03:43 UTC 2009

(Somehow I don't think this is going to prevent unauthorized Internet
connections from said bases....just slightly raise the bar.  But we
shall see...---rf)

Air Force Unplugs Bases' Internet Connections
By Noah Shachtman EmailFebruary 18, 2009 | 1:36:09 PM

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2009/02/air-force-cuts.html

Pr20060221a It was considered a harsh, if necessary, measure when the
U.S. military decided in November to ban all USB drives and removable
media from its networks to stop a worm assault. But compared to what
the Air Force's leaders are doing now, that step seems downright
wimpy. The air service is cutting off its bases' internet connections,
if they don't comply with strict network security rules.

Recently, internet access was cut off at Maxwell Air Force Base in
Alabama, because personnel at the facility "hadn't demonstrated — in
our view at the headquarters — their capacity to manage their network
in a way that didn't make everyone else vulnerable," Air Force Chief
of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz tells InsideDefense.com:

     "This is the kind of effort that's required up and down the
line." ...

     The internet shutdown at the Alabama base was in response to a
specific, "significant" intrusion that threatened the entire service's
networks, according to Schwartz.

     The Maxwell event served as an example to everyone in the Air
Force "that this is not voluntary, that this is the real deal, that we
have standards and we will collectively enforce those standards or you
won't be on the net," said Schwartz.

Network administrators at Air Force bases already put strict
limitations on what sites their troops can and cannot visit. Many
airmen can't access Danger Room, for example — or any site with the
word "blog" in the URL. That's in addition to Defense Department-wide
bans on YouTube, MySpace and other social networking sites.