[Infowarrior] - Facebook Retreats on Terms of Service

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Feb 18 21:00:24 UTC 2009

Facebook Retreats on Terms of Service

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2009/02/facebook_retreats_on_terms_of.html#more

After a long weekend of increasingly bitter reaction to recent
revisions of its "terms of service," Facebook hit the Undo button on
the changes late last night. It reinstated the previous terms and said
it would take some time to hear its users.

Facebook chief privacy officer Chris Kelly e-mailed a little after 11
last night, writing that "we're rolling back to the previous terms of
use for now and listening to some more input from our userbase and
outside groups."

(Disclaimer: As you can see from my own Facebook page, I've known
Chris since college, where we worked on the same school paper.)

The offending item in Facebook's Feb. 4 revision to its terms of
service--"TOS" for short--was a long paragraph that made some sweeping
claims to the words, pictures and other media uploaded by Facebook
users:

     You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-
exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right
to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain,
publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit,
frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and
distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on
or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof
subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post,
including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your
name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or
advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook
Service or the promotion thereof. You represent and warrant that you
have all rights and permissions to grant the foregoing licenses.

The older, now reinstated terms of service made many of the same
claims but also included these sentences:

     You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If
you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will
automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may
retain archived copies of your User Content. Facebook does not assert
any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you,
subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full
ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property
rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content.

As Facebook users soon realized, the new TOS said nothing about what
would happen to their data if they canceled their accounts. The
Consumerist blog summarized the changes as "We Can Do Anything We Want
With Your Content. Forever."

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg semi-apologized for the new phrasing
in a blog post, calling them "overly formal" while insisting that "In
reality, we wouldn't share your information in a way you wouldn't want."

Users were not convinced, posting rebuttals on their own blogs--and,
of course, in a Facebook group organized to oppose the changes.

The company's management seems to have decided this was an argument it
could not win. Smart move, but we'll have to see what it does next.
Will the next TOS revision be written only for lawyers, or for the
Facebook user base at large?

As I asked in an e-mail to Chris Kelly yesterday: "When these terms
were drafted, were they not assessed with an eye towards how they'd
look to the general public?"

I'm sympathetic to the people who have to write these documents.
Writing something that will stand up in court, even against the
loopiest litigation, is not easy, and it's not always possible to do
so in language that looks right to laypeople. (For several years, my
job here involved asking outside writers to agree to the moderately
tangled legalese in the Post's standard freelance agreement before I
could assign them any stories.)

But the costs of bad publicity can be a lot higher than the hourly
rates for whatever legal help is needed to slap down a frivolous
lawsuit--which could happen regardless of how airtight a site's
contracts might be.

An hour or so after the rollback of the terms of service, Zuckerberg
posted a new item on Facebook's blog. He pledged that the next
revision of the terms would, in fact, be written for people without
J.D. degrees, and with the help of individual Facebook users:

     Our next version will be a substantial revision from where we are
now. It will reflect the principles I described yesterday around how
people share and control their information, and it will be written
clearly in language everyone can understand. Since this will be the
governing document that we'll all live by, Facebook users will have a
lot of input in crafting these terms.

The post closed with an invitation to join a new group, "Facebook Bill
of Rights and Responsibilities," to discuss these changes.

If all 175 million-plus Facebook users join in, it may take a while to
see some sort of consensus emerge from that conversation. But one
unambiguous upside does seem clear in all this: People won't take
"trust me" for an answer and are actually reading these documents,
then trying to hold the corporations behind them accountable.