[Infowarrior] - Blackwater rebrands itself

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Feb 14 15:41:43 UTC 2009

Blackwater is now Xe. Just Xe.
Blackwater rebrands itself

http://www.newsobserver.com/917/v-print/story/1405570.html

The era of Blackwater is over.

The Eastern North Carolina-based private security company had
exemplified the problems of using private soldiers in combat zones.
Now, after losing its contract to guard U.S. diplomats in Iraq, it is
changing its name.

Company officials announced Friday that the group of businesses
formerly called Blackwater Worldwide will now be known as "Xe,"
pronounced like the letter Z.

The company provided no information on how it chose the name.

The attempt to rebrand itself comes as six former employees face
manslaughter charges for a shooting that killed 17 civilians in
Baghdad. The company has also faced intense scrutiny since four of its
employees were massacred and two of them hung from a bridge in
Fallujah in 2004.

In January, the Iraqi government denied Blackwater a license to
operate there, and its workers are expected to leave the country this
spring.

Company spokeswoman Anne Tyrrell said the new name reflects a new focus.

After earning more than $1 billion in federal contracts from the Bush
administration, mostly for providing security to U.S. diplomats in
Iraq, she said the company will no longer pursue new security
contracts. She said it will now work mostly on training law
enforcement officers and military troops in such areas as weapons
handling and hostage rescue.

"This company will continue to provide personnel protective services
for high-threat environments when needed by the U.S. government,"
Blackwater president Gary Jackson said in a memo to employees, "but
its primary mission will be operating our training facilities around
the world, including the flagship campus in North Carolina."

The company runs what is believed to be the world's largest privately
owned firearms training facility. Its headquarters is in the
northeastern North Carolina town of Moyock, and it has smaller sites
in Illinois and San Diego.

Aside from its Iraq work, the company also guards U.S. diplomats in
Afghanistan. However, some members of Congress -- including Sen. John
Kerry, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee -- have
called for the company to be fired.

Blackwater's chief executive, Erik Prince, a former Navy SEAL, founded
the company in 1997 in a remote, swampy area of the state. It operated
in relative obscurity until the Fallujah massacre in 2004. Images of
the ambush were flashed around the world after a mob dragged the
bodies of the contractors through the streets and hung two charred
corpses from a bridge.

The incident set off a battle that left 36 U.S. military members and
600 Iraqi civilians dead. A congressional inquiry found that the for-
profit company used unarmored vehicles to save money and cut essential
personnel from the mission.

'So corrupt'

Kathryn Helvenston-Wettengel, whose son Scott Helvenston was one of
the Blackwater employees killed in the massacre, said Friday that the
name change made sense.

"I'm not surprised at all," she said "They've become so corrupt, I
don't think they could get a contract under Blackwater's name. So,
good luck."

Hers is among four families suing Blackwater, alleging that the
company failed to provide armored vehicles, machine guns, proper maps
or the full complement of six guards outlined in the company's contract.

In addition to that incident, Blackwater has been involved in nearly
200 shooting incidents in Iraq. In 2007, company contractors were
accused of killing 17 innocent civilians in Baghdad. Six former
employees have been charged with manslaughter.

Iraqi officials said that record of violence was behind their decision
last month to deny Blackwater's permit.

Tyrrell, the company spokeswoman, said the name change has been part
of a gradual process of redefining the company.

"Of course, the past is a factor in all decisions made by the
company," she said. "We're changing the name because we're taking the
company to a place where we think it is no longer described by the
name Blackwater."

(Staff writer Jay Price contributed to this report.)

kristin.collins at newsobserver.com or 919-829-4881

Comics, crosswords and coupons... only in The N&O print edition.
Subscribe Now!
Staff writer Jay Price contributed to this report.
SOME MEANINGS OF XE

* The symbol for the element Xenon, a colorless, odorless gas

* XE.com, a currency and foreign exchange rate Web site

* X-Entertainment, a pop culture Web site for Generation X

* Chi Epsilon, a civil engineering honor society

* A gender-neutral pronoun invented to avoid sexism in language

XE, MEET XE

Steven Dengler, CEO of XE, the Canadian-based currency exchange
services company, said Friday that he was surprised at Blackwater's
choice of name. His company's Web site, XE.com, is one of the most
popular destinations on the Web.

On any given day, it's usually ranked between No. 250 and No. 380 for
traffic, he said.

"Why on earth they'd want to name themselves the same thing as such a
well-established brand, I don't know," Dengler said. "We just think
they made a bad mistake."

He paused to speak while adding a line to his company's Wikipedia
entry saying that it had no relationship with the company once known
as Blackwater.

The currency exchange XE's lawyers were still looking into the issue,
but Dengler said that at first blush the change seemed unlikely to
have any serious effect on his XE, and the Moyock firm doesn't appear
to be engaged in any of the same lines of work.

"We have our trademark registered all over the world, but we certainly
don't have anything registered under 'mercenary army,' " he said.

-- JAY PRICE