[Infowarrior] - Schneier: Is aviation security mostly for show?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Dec 30 15:41:03 UTC 2009

Is aviation security mostly for show?
By Bruce Schneier, Special to CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2009/OPINION/12/29/schneier.air.travel.security.theater/index.html

Editor's note: Bruce Schneier is an author and technologist who
specializes in security. His books include "Applied Cryptography,"
"Beyond Fear" and "Schneier on Security" and his other writing can be
seen at http://www.schneier.com/
(CNN) -- Last week's attempted terror attack on an airplane heading
from Amsterdam to Detroit has given rise to a bunch of familiar
questions.

How did the explosives get past security screening? What steps could
be taken to avert similar attacks? Why wasn't there an air marshal on
the flight? And, predictably, government officials have rushed to
institute new safety measures to close holes in the system exposed by
the incident.

Reviewing what happened is important, but a lot of the discussion is
off-base, a reflection of the fundamentally wrong conception most
people have of terrorism and how to combat it.

Terrorism is rare, far rarer than many people think. It's rare because
very few people want to commit acts of terrorism, and executing a
terrorist plot is much harder than television makes it appear.

The best defenses against terrorism are largely invisible:
investigation, intelligence, and emergency response. But even these
are less effective at keeping us safe than our social and political
policies, both at home and abroad. However, our elected leaders don't
think this way: They are far more likely to implement security theater
against movie-plot threats.

A "movie-plot threat" is an overly specific attack scenario. Whether
it's terrorists with crop dusters, terrorists contaminating the milk
supply, or terrorists attacking the Olympics, specific stories affect
our emotions more intensely than mere data does.

Stories are what we fear. It's not just hypothetical stories --
terrorists flying planes into buildings, terrorists with explosives
strapped to their legs or with bombs in their shoes, and terrorists
with guns and bombs waging a co-ordinated attack against a city are
even scarier movie-plot threats because they actually happened.

"Security theater" refers to security measures that make people feel
more secure without doing anything to actually improve their security.
An example: the photo ID checks that have sprung up in office
buildings. No one has ever explained why verifying that someone has a
photo ID provides any actual security, but it looks like security to
have a uniformed guard-for-hire looking at ID cards.

Airport-security examples include the National Guard troops stationed
at U.S. airports in the months after 9/11 -- their guns had no
bullets. The U.S. color-coded system of threat levels, the pervasive
harassment of photographers, and the metal detectors that are
increasingly common in hotels and office buildings since the Mumbai
terrorist attacks, are additional examples.

To be sure, reasonable arguments can be made that some terrorist
targets are more attractive than others: airplanes because a small
bomb can result in the death of everyone aboard, monuments because of
their national significance, national events because of television
coverage, and transportation because of the numbers of people who
commute daily.

But there are literally millions of potential targets in any large
country -- there are 5 million commercial buildings alone in the
United States -- and hundreds of potential terrorist tactics. It's
impossible to defend every place against everything, and it's
impossible to predict which tactic and target terrorists will try next.

Security is both a feeling and a reality. The propensity for security
theater comes from the interplay between the public and its leaders.

When people are scared, they need something done that will make them
feel safe, even if it doesn't truly make them safer. Politicians
naturally want to do something in response to crisis, even if that
something doesn't make any sense.

Often, this "something" is directly related to the details of a recent
event. We confiscate liquids, screen shoes, and ban box cutters on
airplanes. We tell people they can't use an airplane restroom in the
last 90 minutes of an international flight. But it's not the target
and tactics of the last attack that are important, but the next
attack. These measures are only effective if we happen to guess what
the next terrorists are planning.

If we spend billions defending our rail systems, and the terrorists
bomb a shopping mall instead, we've wasted our money. If we
concentrate airport security on screening shoes and confiscating
liquids, and the terrorists hide explosives in their brassieres and
use solids, we've wasted our money. Terrorists don't care what they
blow up and it shouldn't be our goal merely to force the terrorists to
make a minor change in their tactics or targets.

Our current response to terrorism is a form of "magical thinking." It
relies on the idea that we can somehow make ourselves safer by
protecting against what the terrorists happened to do last time.

Unfortunately for politicians, the security measures that work are
largely invisible. Such measures include enhancing the intelligence-
gathering abilities of the secret services, hiring cultural experts
and Arabic translators, building bridges with Islamic communities both
nationally and internationally, funding police capabilities -- both
investigative arms to prevent terrorist attacks, and emergency
communications systems for after attacks occur -- and arresting
terrorist plotters without media fanfare.

They do not include expansive new police or spying laws. Our police
don't need any new laws to deal with terrorism; rather, they need
apolitical funding.

The arrest of the "liquid bombers" in London is an example: They were
caught through old-fashioned intelligence and police work. Their
choice of target (airplanes) and tactic (liquid explosives) didn't
matter; they would have been arrested regardless.

But even as we do all of this we cannot neglect the feeling of
security, because it's how we collectively overcome the psychological
damage that terrorism causes. It's not security theater we need, it's
direct appeals to our feelings. The best way to help people feel
secure is by acting secure around them. Instead of reacting to
terrorism with fear, we -- and our leaders -- need to react with
indomitability, the kind of strength shown by President Franklin D.
Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill during World War II.

By not overreacting, by not responding to movie-plot threats, and by
not becoming defensive, we demonstrate the resilience of our society,
in our laws, our culture, our freedoms. There is a difference between
indomitability and arrogant "bring 'em on" rhetoric. There's a
difference between accepting the inherent risk that comes with a free
and open society, and hyping the threats.

We should treat terrorists like common criminals and give them all the
benefits of true and open justice -- not merely because it
demonstrates our indomitability, but because it makes us all safer.

Once a society starts circumventing its own laws, the risks to its
future stability are much greater than terrorism.

Despite fearful rhetoric to the contrary, terrorism is not a
transcendent threat. A terrorist attack cannot possibly destroy a
country's way of life; it's only our reaction to that attack that can
do that kind of damage. The more we undermine our own laws, the more
we convert our buildings into fortresses, the more we reduce the
freedoms and liberties at the foundation of our societies, the more
we're doing the terrorists' job for them.

Today, we can project indomitability by rolling back all the fear-
based post-9/11 security measures. Our leaders have lost credibility;
getting it back requires a decrease in hyperbole. Ditch the invasive
mass surveillance systems and new police state-like powers. Return
airport security to pre-9/11 levels. Remove swagger from our foreign
policies. Show the world that our legal system is up to the challenge
of terrorism. Stop telling people to report all suspicious activity;
it does little but make us suspicious of each other, increasing both
fear and helplessness.

Counterterrorism is also hard, especially when we're psychologically
prone to muck it up. Since 9/11, we've embarked on strategies of
defending specific targets against specific tactics, overreacting to
every terrorist video, stoking fear, demonizing ethnic groups, and
treating the terrorists as if they were legitimate military opponents
who could actually destroy a country or a way of life -- all of this
plays into the hands of terrorists.

We'd do much better by leveraging the inherent strengths of our modern
democracies and the natural advantages we have over the terrorists:
our adaptability and survivability, our international network of laws
and law enforcement, and the freedoms and liberties that make our
society so enviable.

The way we live is open enough to make terrorists rare; we are
observant enough to prevent most of the terrorist plots that exist,
and indomitable enough to survive the even fewer terrorist plots that
actually succeed. We don't need to pretend otherwise.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Bruce
Schneier. An earlier version of this essay appeared in New
Internationalist magazine.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/OPINION/12/29/schneier.air.travel.security.theater/index.html