[Infowarrior] - DHS backpedals: The system "failed miserably"

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Dec 28 14:02:18 UTC 2009

System to keep air travel safe failed: Napolitano
WASHINGTON
Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:45am EST

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5BQ0Z420091228
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The system aimed at keeping air travel secure
failed when a Nigerian man who was suspected of ties to militants
managed to smuggle explosives aboard a flight, U.S. Homeland Security
Secretary Janet Napolitano said on Monday.

"It did," Napolitano said in an interview on NBC's Today Show, when
asked if the system "failed miserably."

"And that's why we are asking -- how did this individual get on the
plane? Why wasn't the explosive material detected? What do we need to
do to change" the security watch list rules, she said.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab has been charged with trying to blow up
Northwest Airlines flight 253 as it approached Detroit from Amsterdam
on Christmas Day with almost 300 people on board. Passengers and crew
overpowered him after he set alight an explosive device attached to
his body.

On Sunday, Napolitano said the system to protect air travel worked,
but in news shows appearances on Monday she said she meant the
response to alert other flights and airports and impose immediate
safety procedures was effective.

Appearing on Monday on CNN, she said the administration was reviewing
other security policies "because clearly this individual should not
have been able to board this plane carrying that material."

Abdulmutallab's father, a respected Nigerian banker, had told U.S.
officials he was concerned that his son's radicalized behavior could
pose a threat, and his name was on a broad U.S. list of possible
security threats. But he was not on the much smaller "no fly" list.

Napolitano was asked on NBC if the attempt represented a new form of
threat that the screening system was not equipped to handle.

"I wouldn't go that far," she said. "What I would say is that our
system did not work in this instance. No one is happy or satisfied
with that. An extensive review is under way."

"At this point we feel that with the additional screening procedures
in place ... the additional protective measures within
aircraft ...that air travel is safe while we work our way through this
problem."

(Reporting by Deborah Charles, editing by Vicki Allen)