[Infowarrior] - DECAF disabled (quasi-hoax)

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Dec 18 15:04:51 UTC 2009

I give 'em some credit for this however ... gods know I feel the same
way about folks wanting the instant-gratification route on things,
particularly forensics and security!!  --rf

http://www.decafme.org/

As you probably noticed, your copy of DECAF no longer works. We have
disabled every copy of DECAF. We hope that as you realize this was a
stunt to raise awareness for security and the need for better forensic
tools that you would reconsider cutting corners on corporate security.
Also, governments should not rely on a tool to automate the process of
forensics but rather invest in the education of investigators and
forensic tool experts. If we were able to assist every government
agency in their computer crime investigations, we would. The problem
is DECAF is just two people. As a security community at large, we need
to band together and start relieving some of the burden off our
government by giving back.

It also goes to show that if two people can make an impact as big as
DECAF did; imagine how much positive we could all do together. Lately
our media has been presenting many individual people (balloon boy,
white house visitors, etc) who have been manipulating media outlets
for selfish publicity in hopes of being "successful". The problem is
that America has grown to be selfish, self-reliant, prideful, and a
arrogant monster. We leave our marriages, neglect our kids, chase
positions/status at work, chase materialistic property and only think
of ourselves. In the mean time our whole country goes down the tubes.

< snip >

http://www.decafme.org/