[Infowarrior] - Microsoft DRM Locks You Out Of Your Own Documents

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Dec 14 18:35:55 UTC 2009

Microsoft DRM Locks You Out Of Your Own Documents
from the reason-number-6495884672-why-DRM-sucks dept
In case you haven't been paying attention, there's yet to be a good
reason put forth for using DRM that I can remember. We've seen over
and over again how DRM seems to interfere with legitimate actions, but
does nothing at all to slow down "pirates." Slashdot points to a
rather scary situations for those who used Microsoft Office 2003 to
DRM certain documents for their own use. Apparently, a screwup on the
part of Microsoft (oops) means that many people got locked out of
their own documents. Basically, Microsoft let a certificate expire,
and that's made life difficult for lots and lots of people. So what
good is DRM again?

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091214/0005017331.shtml