[Infowarrior] - The Redactor’s Dilemma

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Dec 11 14:14:41 UTC 2009

he Redactor’s Dilemma December 8th, 2009 · 2 Comments
It’s been a good week for document dumps—especially if you’re
interested in surveillance policy. On top of Chris Soghoian’s
revelations about telecom location tracking requests and a slew of
leaked telecom and social networking site surveillance manuals for law
enforcement at Cryptome, I’ve also been poring over the FOIA documents
on cell phone lojacking obtained by the ACLU. Like a lot of the stacks
of papers that pile up on your desk when you study national security
surveillance for a living, these are heavily redacted, and over time,
you start developing little heuristics for trying to put the puzzle
pieces together, to at least limit the domain of what might be in
those black boxes.  What can context tell you? What can you infer from
the length of the redacted material? Looking at these sets of
documents, I think I may have picked up on an interesting variation on
Mike Masnick’s “Streisand Effect”—that now-familiar phenomenon where
efforts to suppress information end up drawing all the more attention
to it.

< - >

http://www.juliansanchez.com/2009/12/08/the-redactors-dilemma/