[Infowarrior] - our tax dollars @ work

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Dec 10 15:57:32 UTC 2009

Ugh.  You can't make this stuff up.  :( ---rf

House panel passes college football playoff bill
Dec 9, 2:47 PM (ET)

By FREDERIC J. FROMMER

WASHINGTON (AP) - A House subcommittee approved legislation Wednesday
aimed at forcing college football to switch to a playoff system to
determine its national champion, over the objections of some lawmakers
who said Congress has meatier targets to tackle.

The bill, which faces steep odds, would ban the promotion of a
postseason NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision game as a
national championship unless it results from a playoff. The measure
passed by voice vote in a House Energy and Commerce Committee
subcommittee, with one audible "no," from Rep. John Barrow, D-Ga.

"With all due respect, I really think we have more important things to
spend our time on," Barrow said before the vote, although he stressed
he didn't like the current Bowl Championship Series, either.

< - >

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091209/D9CFVTR01.html