[Infowarrior] - USG: Any music downloading is stealing

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Aug 27 17:27:38 UTC 2009

US Gov't Briefing For All Employees: All Music Downloads Are Stolen,
Risky
from the accuracy-not-so-important dept
A bunch of folks have sent over a post on Slashdot detailing how a
mandatory US gov't briefing on "information security" uses incredibly
hyperbolic and inaccurate information, including the idea that all
music downloads are theft and insecure. You can see the (flash-heavy)
video briefing. The actual part with the music downloads is pretty far
into the presentation (you can jump forward through the chapters),
when it hits an interactive bit where you get to go through "real-life
scenarios" of "threats." In the bottom left corner, there's a scenario
involving a colleague who says he's found a "cool site" from which you
can "download music" and asks you how do you respond:

	• I'd rather download the music from home -- email me the link
	• Is it safe to download?
	• Since we're on our lunch hour, I see no harm. Here's my thumb drive!
	• That's stealing.

Choices one and three seem obviously wrong, but choice two actually
does seem like the most relevant. After all, the "cool site" in
question could be any number of "cool sites" that offer up legal free
music, like Jamendo or CCMixter. But what happens if you select the
second choice and ask if it's safe to download? You're told no, that's
wrong

< - >

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090826/1957236010.shtml