[Infowarrior] - Brazen Careerist: LinkedIn for Gen Y

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Aug 26 01:24:26 UTC 2009

Brazen Careerist: LinkedIn for Gen Y
By Jennifer Martinez | Tuesday, August 25, 2009	 | 5:04 PM PT	 | 1
comment

http://gigaom.com/2009/08/25/brazen-careerist-linkedin-for-gen-y/

Brazen Careerist, the blog network spearheaded by well-known career
advice blogger and columnist Penelope Trunk, launched a professional
social network today aimed at connecting employers with prospective
Generation Y hires. The new social network juxtaposes features from
popular social sites such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn so that
it’s easy for that demographic to get started on the site and start
adding content to it.

Unlike LinkedIn, Monster.com and other career web sites, a person’s
profile on Brazen Careerist is not centered solely around their
resume, but on an “idea feed” where people list their goals, interests
and career strengths. As Trunk points out, LinkdedIn’s profile content
is dedicated to people listing their past work experience — something
Generation Y-ers don’t have much of due to their age. The idea feed on
Brazen Careerist, on the other hand, will allow employers find the
best Gen Y candidates based on whether their ideas match the
company’s, rather than the employer judging them solely on their
limited work experience.

For Gen Y-ers, Facebook came on the scene when many of us were at the
beginning our college careers. It was a site where we could add quirky
information about ourselves and connect with our peers over wall
posts, photo albums and status updates. But college career counselors
were quick to warn us that employers were using Facebook as a proxy
for background checks, so many of us modified our Facebook profiles to
make our social network identity more HR-friendly. But now, Brazen
Careerist offers a way for young adults to finally separate our
personal and professional online identities.

Trunk said the Madison, Wisc.-based company plans to monetize the new
social network by using a similar revenue model as LinkedIn, except it
doesn’t plan on charging Gen Y-ers for subscriptions. The revenue
model will be a hybrid of a pay-for-hire model, charging companies for
posting a job ad and contacting prospective job candidates directly.
Brazen Careerist will start charging companies for these services by
the end of this year.