[Infowarrior] - Ridge: DHS pressured to raise terror levels

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Aug 21 02:22:59 UTC 2009

Ridge Claims That He Was Pressured to Elevate Threat Warning
Updated 7:42 p.m.
By Garance Franke-Ruta

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/08/20/ridge_claims_in_book_that_he_w.html?hpid=news-col-blog

Former Pennsylvania governor Tom Ridge, the first director of the
Department of Homeland Security, says that he was pressured by other
agency heads to raise the national security-threat level on the eve of
the 2004 presidential election -- a move he rejected as having
political undertones.

The disclosure comes in promotional materials for Ridge's new book,
due out Sept. 1, in which he writes that Defense Secretary Donald H.
Rumsfeld and Attorney General John D. Ashcroft tried to pressure him
to raise the threat level.

"After that episode, I knew I had to follow through with my plans to
leave the federal government for the private sector," Ridge writes in
the book, "The Test of Our Times: America Under Siege ... and How We
Can Be Safe Again," according to publishers Thomas Dunne Books.

He submitted his resignation within the month.

Another official in George W. Bush's administration, White House
homeland security adviser Frances Fragos Townsend, told the Associated
Press on Thursday that Ridge "was certainly not pressured," while a
spokesman for Rumsfeld rejected Ridge's assertion.

"The story line advanced by his publisher seemingly to sell copies of
the book is nonsense," Keith Urbahn said in a statement. "During the
fall of 2004, Osama bin Laden and an American member of al-Qaeda
released videotapes that said in no uncertain terms that al-Qaeda
intended to launch more attacks against Americans. ... Given those
facts, it would seem reasonable for senior administration officials to
discuss the threat level."

Ridge's publicist, Joe Rinaldi, said Thursday that the former
secretary was not doing interviews.

Ridge will also say in the book that his relationship with Rumsfeld
had been distant, with the Pentagon chief rarely making himself
available for meetings with his domestic security counterpart.

And Ridge will also reveal that he was never invited to a White House
National Security Council meeting -- Condoleezza Rice was NSC director
during President George W. Bush's first term -- that he was routinely
"blindsided" by an information-withholding Federal Bureau of
Investigation during Oval Office briefings, and that his efforts to
establish regional Homeland Security offices in New Orleans and six
other major cities in the years before Hurricane Katrina were thwarted
by bureaucracy.

The man who oversaw America's airport screening was himself singled
out for screening more than two dozen times, he will say.

Threat-level warnings became a subject of controversy in 2004 after
one rise was declared just days after the Democratic National
Convention that summer. The move was seen by some at the time as
redirecting public attention toward an issue where Bush was stronger
(terrorism) and away from questions about the war in Iraq being raised
by challenger Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.).

Some of the intelligence behind the alert was ultimately revealed to
be three to four years old, though newly obtained.

"We don't do politics in the Department of Homeland of Security,"
Ridge said at the time.