[Infowarrior] - Reuters Prez: 'News Linking is Good'

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Aug 6 11:55:12 UTC 2009

Well said!!    -rf

16:09 August 4th, 2009
Why I believe in the link economy

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2009/08/04/why-i-believe-in-the-link-economy/

The following is a guest column by Chris Ahearn, President, Media at
Thomson Reuters.
“Do unto others”

It’s a simple standard my mom taught me when I was a kid – yours
probably taught it too. It isn’t always easy, but in business it’s a
good guiding light if you don’t want your company to be evil.

Recently there has been a rising crescendo of finger-pointing,
shrieking, braying and teeth-gnashing about the future of the news. In
the last couple of weeks there have been many comments on the AP’s
proposals, Attributor’s proposals, Ian Shapira’s story and fair use.

After some of the AP commentary, I posted a tweet directed at Jeff
Jarvis that prompted some members in the community to ask me to be
more outspoken, asking me to be blatant about it, to post a public
statement. For those who know me, I usually don’t need to be asked.

To start, yes the global economy is fairly grim and the cyclical
aspects of our business are biting extremely hard in the face of the
structural changes. But the Internet isn’t killing the news business
any more than TV killed radio or radio killed the newspaper. Incumbent
business leaders in news haven’t been keeping up. Many leaders
continue to help push the business into the ditch by wasting
“resources” (management speak for talented people) on recycling
commodity news. Reader habits are changing and vertically curated
views need to be meshed with horizontal read-around ones.

Blaming the new leaders or aggregators for disrupting the business of
the old leaders, or saber-rattling and threatening to sue are not
business strategies – they are personal therapy sessions. Go ask a
music executive how well it works.

A better approach is to have a general agreement among community
members to treat others’ content, business and ideas with the same
respect you would want them to treat yours.

If you are doing something that you would object to if others did it
to you – stop. If you don’t want search engines linking to you, insert
code to ban them.

I believe in the link economy. Please feel free to link to our stories
— it adds value to all producers of content. I believe you should play
fair and encourage your readers to read-around to what others are
producing if you use it and find it interesting.

I don’t believe you could or should charge others for simply linking
to your content. Appropriate excerpting and referencing are not only
acceptable, but encouraged. If someone wants to create a business on
the back of others’ original content, the parties should have a
business relationship that benefits both.

Let’s stop whining and start having real conversations across party
lines. Let’s get online publishers, search engines, aggregators, ad
networks, and self-publishers (bloggers) in a virtual room and
determine how we can all get along. I don’t believe any one of us
should be the self-appointed Internet police; agreeing on a code of
conduct and ethics is in everyone’s best interests.

Our news ecosystem is evolving and learning how it can be open,
diverse, inclusive and effective. With all the new tools and
capabilities we should be entering a new golden age of journalism –
call it journalism 3.0. Let’s identify how we can birth it and agree
what is “fair use” or “fair compensation” and have a conversation
about how we can work together to fuel a vibrant, productive and
trusted digital news industry. Let’s identify business models that are
inclusive and that create a win-win relationship for all parties.

This is not code for some hidden agenda – it is an open call for
collective problem solving. Let’s do it wiki-style and edit it in the
public domain. Let’s define the code of conduct and ethics we would
all like to operate under.

My suggestion is we start with “do unto others” as our guiding spirit
– I bet it would make all of our mothers proud.

Post your comments below (good, bad or ugly) or send me an email. You
can reach me directly at chris.ahearn at thomsonreuters.com or via twitter