[Infowarrior] - New FBI Tech: E-Guardian

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Sep 20 02:47:27 UTC 2008

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/sept08/eguardian_091908.html

CONNECTING THE DOTS

Using New FBI Technology

The eGuardian system—which is being piloted by several agencies and
will start being rolled out in phases nationwide by year’s end,
complete with training—will enable near real-time sharing and tracking
of terror information and suspicious activities with our local, state,
tribal, and federal partners. It’s actually a spin-off of a similar
but classified tool called Guardian that we’ve been using inside the
Bureau—and sharing with vetted partners—for the past four years.

How eGuardian works. In a very similar way, except it will be
available through our secure Law Enforcement Online Internet portal to
more than 18,000 agencies, which will be able to run searches and
input their own reports. Their entries will be automatically sent to a
state “fusion center” (or a similar intelligence-based hub) for
vetting, where trained personnel will evaluate it and then either
monitor it, close it, or refer it to the appropriate FBI terror task
force. Ultimately, eGuardian will add additional capabilities like geo-
spatial mapping, live chats, and link analysis.

What happens if an incident has no probable link to terrorism? The
report is deleted to ensure personal data is not being needlessly
stored. If the information is deemed “inconclusive,” it will remain in
eGuardian for up to five years, in accordance with federal regulations.