[Infowarrior] - We the . . .

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Sep 5 16:57:38 UTC 2008

(c/o IP)

We the . . .

Imagine if the Founding Fathers tried to copyright the Constitution

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080905/OPINION/809050369/1033/news

THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Friday, September 5, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, September 5, 2008 at 5:49 a.m.

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect
union, establish justice, insure tranquility . . . do ordain and
establish that this Constitution shall not be duplicated, republished
or rebroadcast without the written consent of, and payment to, future
federal, state and local officials for revenue-generating purposes."

We must have missed that last section of our founding documents.

Apparently, California state officials haven't though. Laws may be of,
by and for the people, but, according to the state, downloading them
onto your computer is unlawful -- unless you pay for the privilege.

That's what Carl Malamud of Sebastopol discovered when he sought to
post online all 38 volumes of the California Code of Regulations and
the Sonoma County Code. These documents contain society's rules about
everything from building standards, to traffic laws, to regulations
for running a nursing home.

But state officials contend copyright laws give them the power to
charge $2,315 for a printed version of the code and $1,556 for a
digital version. The state generates about $800,000 a year by selling
its laws for publication. Want to post them online? Forget about it.
LexisNexis has the exclusive rights to distribute Sonoma County
statutes.

If you're wondering how a private company can have such control over
the publication of laws written for the public -- and devised through
taxpayer funds -- you're not alone.

Adding to the absurdity of it all, California officials believe
they're doing this to benefit the public. Noted Linda Brown, deputy
director of the Office of Administrative Law, "We are obtaining
compensation for the people of California."

Given that reasoning, maybe the state should consider charging for
election results? Imagine the revenue potential.

Fortunately, Malamud has not given up. He has spent hours scanning the
state code books into his computer, and on Labor Day he posted the
basic safety codes for all 50 states. (To see his Web site, go to www.public.resource.org
.)

He's likely to hear from the state's lawyers soon, but he's ready for
a fight.

Given the state's long-standing support for the public's right to know
what its government is doing and the court's history of recognizing
that laws are part of the public domain and must be accessible, we're
guessing Malamud will ultimately prevail.

But just to be on the safe side, somebody hide a copy of the
Constitution.