[Infowarrior] - Google to Release Open-Source 'Chrome' Browser

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Sep 2 04:17:20 UTC 2008

  Google to Release Open-Source 'Chrome' Browser

09.01.08

by Chloe Albanesius

Are Internet Explorer and Firefox ready to do battle with Chrome?

Google announced Monday that it has been hard at work on an open-
source browser known as Chrome, a beta version of which will be
released in 100 countries on Tuesday.

New features will included "isolated" tabs designed to prevent browser
crashes and a more powerful JavaScript engine.

"Why are we launching Google Chrome? Because we believe we can add
value for users and, at the same time, help drive innovation on the
web," Sundar Pichai, vice president of product management, and Linus
Upson, Google engineering director, wrote in a blog post.

Google was apparently looking to keep news of Chrome under wraps until
after the holiday weekend. A 38-page, online comic book that provided
details about Chrome hit the blogosphere Monday morning, but Pichai
and Upson said in their blog post that Google had "hit 'send' a bit
early" on the web comic.

The comic depicts various Google engineers describing Chrome's
features, including the isolated tab idea.

"By keeping each tab in an isolated 'sandbox', we were able to prevent
one tab from crashing another and provide improved protection from
rogue sites," Pichai and Upson wrote.

Having a number of tabs open in a single browser eats up memory. If a
browser is running slow, a user's natural inclination is to close a
few tabs? In some cases, however, little bits of the closed tabs
remain, which eats up space and requires the operating system to grow
the browser's address space, according to Google. With Chrome, there
will be a different tab for each process, including plug-ins.

"When a tab is closed in Google Chrome, you're ending the whole
process," according to the comic. "You can look under the hood with
Google Chrome's task mananger to see what sites are using the most
memory, downloading the most bytes and abusing your CPU" so you can
place "blame where blame belongs."

Google also promised "improved speed and responsiveness across the
board."

"We also built a more powerful JavaScript engine, V8, to power the
next generation of web applications that aren't even possible in
today's browsers," Pichai and Upson wrote.

Like OpenSocial and Android, Chrome will be an open source initiative.

"We owe a great debt to many open source projects, and we're committed
to continuing on their path," they wrote. "We've used components from
Apple's WebKit and Mozilla's Firefox, among others -- and in that
spirit, we are making all of our code open source as well. We hope to
collaborate with the entire community to help drive the web forward."

The team selected Webkit because it uses memory efficiently, was
easily adapated to embedded devices, and it was easy for new browser
developers to learn to make the code base work, according to the web
comic. "Webkit keeps it simple."

Google recently extended its financial deal with Mozilla until 2011,
according to a blog post from Mitchell Baker, chair of the Mozilla
Foundation.

Tuesday's beta release will be available for Windows users. "We're
hard at work building versions for Mac and Linux too, and will
continue to make it even faster and more robust," Pichai and Upson
wrote.

"This is just the beginning -- Google Chrome is far from done," they
wrote. "Google Chrome is another option, and we hope it contributes to
making the web even better."

Last week, Microsoft released Internet Explorer 8 beta 2, which
includes improved security and new browsing aids.

Earlier this summer, Mozilla released Firefox 3, which garnered 8
million downloads in 24 hours.