[Infowarrior] - Another Voice Warns of an Innovation Slowdown

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Sep 1 15:02:02 UTC 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/01/technology/01estrin.html

September 1, 2008
Another Voice Warns of an Innovation Slowdown
By CLAIRE CAIN MILLER

MENLO PARK, Calif. — Judy Estrin, 53, has spent her entire career in
Silicon Valley, a region that thrives on constant innovation. Ms.
Estrin, the former chief technology officer of Cisco Systems, has
founded four technology companies.

Yet she is deeply worried that Silicon Valley — and the United States
as a whole — no longer foster the kind of innovation necessary to
develop groundbreaking technologies and sustain economic growth.

“I am generally not an alarmist, but I have become more and more
concerned about the state of our country and its innovation,” she said
last week, explaining why she wrote her book, “Closing the Innovation
Gap,” which arrives in bookstores Tuesday. “We have a national
innovation deficit.”

< - >

  Ms. Estrin argues that short-term thinking and a reluctance to take
risks are causing a noticeable lag in innovation. She cites a variety
of contributing factors. A decline in federal and university financing
for research has dried up new ideas, she said. When research does
produce new technologies, entrepreneurs and the venture capitalists
who back them have been too cautious to make big bets — especially
after the costly failures of the dot-com bust. If start-up companies
do find financing, she said, new regulations make it hard for them to
grow, and the focus of investors on short-term performance discourages
companies from taking risks.

Ms. Estrin’s suggestions for bolstering innovation range from the
vague, like advising venture capitalists and entrepreneurs to take
more risks, to the specific, like mandating that schools pay teachers
higher salaries.

Some of her prescriptions are unlikely to become reality, like her
idea for a new government body modeled after the Federal Reserve that
sets science policy without Congressional input.

Some thinkers on innovation agree with Ms. Estrin’s assessment. “There
is a remarkable telescoping in of vision and an unwillingness to make
long-term bets,” said Vinton G. Cerf, the chief Internet evangelist at
Google.