[Infowarrior] - Insight: Terrorism v. Mad Cow Disease

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Sep 1 14:39:28 UTC 2008

Can't argue with the kind of logic mentioned at the end of the
article.  Frankly, I'm more concerned about the quality of the food I
eat than whether Granny Smith is carrying more than 3oz of Ensure onto
my plane..... instead of paying a 911 Security Fee on our tickets, we
should instead start billing TSA for the extra time we have to spend
at the airports in their futile attempts to acheive "zero tolerance
(ie, "total") security."    -rf

c/o BB:
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/08/31/federal-court-blocks.html

The USDA tests 1% of cattle of mad cow disease. Kansas-based
Creekstone Farms Premium Beef exporters wants to test 100% of its
cattle for mad cow disease. But the Bush administration took
Creekstone to court, and a US federal appeals court ruled that the
USDA has the authority to stop meatpackers from testing more than 1%
of its cattle.

< - >

The AP reports that "The Bush administration says the low level of
testing reflects the rareness of the disease." The Bush administration
should apply the same logic to the TSA. Terrorists are extremely rare,
so only 1% of passengers ought to be checked by airport security.