[Infowarrior] - UK gov outlines national comms surveillance plan

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Oct 18 02:14:43 UTC 2008

Government gives more detail on communications surveillance plan

OUT-LAW News, 16/10/2008

http://www.out-law.com//default.aspx?page=9515

The Government has postponed planned legislation which could create a
giant central database containing records of every email, web session
and phone call made in the UK.

The Government said before summer that it would create new
communications legislation that would make the recording of the fact
of communications, though not their content, compulsory.

It has emerged that that law had been planned for the end of this year
but will now be postponed until next year following consultation.

Government sources have told reporters that one option is to create a
single, Government-operated database of call and web use records but
that there would be a public consultation on measures before the law
is passed.

The Government has announced that any law would extend the powers of
communications logging so that they could track the use of
communications through websites such as social networking sites.

Law enforcement agencies can currently gain access to records kept by
telecoms providers about which number or computer contacted which
other number or computer, for how long and when as well as any
location data that the operator has.

Providers are compensated by the state for the costs of providing such
information. One current Home Office proposal, sources have told
reporters, is that a single public database would track and provide
that information.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith told think-tank the Institute for Public
Policy Research yesterday that the Government would act on
communications surveillance and would extend the reach into new forms
of communication.

"Our ability to intercept communications and obtain communications
data is vital to fighting terrorism and combating serious crime,
including child sex abuse, murder and drugs trafficking," said Smith.

"Communications Data – that is, data about calls, such as the location
and identity of the caller, not the content of the calls themselves –
is used as important evidence in 95% of serious crime cases and in
almost all Security Service operations since 2004."

"But the communications revolution has been rapid in this country and
the way in which we intercept communications and collect
communications data needs to change too. If it does not we will lose
this vital capability that we currently have and that we all take for
granted," she said.

Authorities' use of information on phone calls and web use is possible
because companies track usage data for billing purposes. That is not
true of alternative messaging systems such as internet-based phone
technology or social networking messaging and the Government is said
to be keen to track such use.

The changes will be part of the Data Communications Bill, which will
also transpose into UK law the EU's Data Retention Directive. This
asks member states to make it a legal requirement that communications
records are kept for between six and 24 months, though it does not
require that the information be kept on a Government database.

Privacy watchdog the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) said
earlier this year that it opposed the creation of a new single
database containing communications records.

‘If the intention is to bring all mobile and internet records together
under one system, this would give us serious concerns and may well be
a step too far," said Jonathan Bamford, assistant Information
Commissioner. "We are not aware of any justification for the state to
hold every UK citizen’s phone and internet records."

Smith said that a consultation on the new law would take place in the
New Year.