[Infowarrior] - EndNote case headed to court

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Nov 4 15:43:08 UTC 2008

EndNote reverse-engineering case looks headed to courtroom

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081104-endnote-reverse-engineering-case-looks-headed-to-courtroom.html

By Jonathan M. Gitlin | Published: November 04, 2008 - 07:35AM CT

As anyone who works in academia knows, writing and publishing papers
involves frequently citing the existing literature. When you're
working on a paper with 30 or more references, keeping track of them
all can be a downright pain, which is where reference-managing
software like Thomson Reuters' EndNote comes in. EndNote is the market
leader in this field, but recently it has been facing competition from
the open source Zotero, which is a Firefox plugin that lets you manage
your bibliographic library and insert references into papers. Right
now though, EndNote and Zotero are locked in a legal battle over
claims by Thomson Reuters that the developers of Zotero have illegally
reverse-engineered aspects of EndNote.

Although EndNote has its position as the 800lb gorilla in the
reference manager field, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that
many users view the application with a measure of antipathy. It can
sometimes be frustrating to use, and the company's practice of rolling
out updates that can appear to be bug fixes with a $99 price tag has
created an environment where other developers have begun to enter the
market with competing solutions.

As I noted in my Office 2008 review, Microsoft has inserted a
reference manager into the new versions of Word, but where EndNote
triumphs over others is the vast breadth of output styles available to
users. These are necessary, as individual journals often have subtly
different ways that they want citations to be presented; references
shown in the text as numbered articles that are then listed in that
order in the bibliography, or listed in the text as (author name,
year) and then listed alphabetically, for example.

Given that the process of publication can sometimes involve sending
the same manuscript to more than one journal, being able to reformat
the way the references are presented is an invaluable tool. By virtue
of being a market leader with a long history in the field, EndNote is
able to offer the widest selection of these output styles as
downloads, and by virtue of their large selection of output styles,
they remain the market leader.

Zotero is an open source project led by a pair of academics, Dan Cohen
and Sean Takats, at George Mason University's Center for History and
New Media. Zotero is a plugin for the Firefox browser, and therefore
cross-platform, and also has the advantage of being free. It also
includes functionality similar to the Mac OS X application Papers, in
that it manages PDF libraries, as well as offering users a way to
insert references into a document.

The lawsuit, brought by Thomson Reuters against George Mason
University and the Comptroller of Virginia, alleges that GMU is in
contravention of their EndNote license with their newest version of
Zotero, thanks to Zotero having allegedly reverse-engineered the file
format that EndNote uses for citation styles in order to offer a
similar functionality in Zotero. Thomson Reuters claims that GMU is
causing "irreparable harm" to its brand, and is seeking to prevent GMU
from distributing the offending application, as well as significant
financial damages.

GMU denies this claim, insisting that, although Zotero can read
EndNote's .ens files, the application does not convert that data to
Zotero's .csl format. GMU has decided not to renew its site license
for EndNote, and has re-released the controversial Zotero 1.5 Sync
Preview.

For its part, Thomson Reuters remain resolute in its claim that Zotero
infringes on their intellectual property and that GMU violated the
terms of their site license. According to Thomson Reuters VP Dave
Kochalko, "These format files only exist as software code; there is no
content or information independent of lines of code and these files
can only be interpreted by the computer. A key value of EndNote is its
ability to format a bibliography within a manuscript and the format
files are integral to that capability."

Kochalko also maintains that "We have worked diligently over the past
several months to resolve this matter amicably. Since it has become
clear that a resolution is not possible at this time, we have no
choice but to pursue litigation in order to protect our intellectual
property, as well as protect our bibliographic formatting capability,
an important publishing resource our EndNote user-community has relied
upon for many years."

As things currently stand, it seems that this case will be heard in
front of a court, which will have to decide if GMU really did reverse-
engineer EndNote's style files.