[Infowarrior] - YouTube refuses Lieberman request

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue May 20 20:39:21 UTC 2008

YouTube refuses Lieberman request
Published on May 19, 2008

http://www.fcw.com/online/news/152587-1.html

The chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Committee today asked Google, the parent company of the popular online
video-sharing site, YouTube, to “immediately remove content produced
by Islamist terrorist organizations” from YouTube and prevent similar
content from reappearing. However, the company immediately refused to
comply with his request.

Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) made the request in a letter to Eric
Schmidt, the chairman of the board and chief executive officer at
Google, in which he said that YouTube “unwittingly, permits Islamist
terrorist groups to maintain an active, pervasive and amplified voice
despite military setbacks or successful operations by the law
enforcement and intelligence communities.”

Lieberman asked the company not only to remove existing content but
also  identify changes that Google plans to make to YouTube’s
community guidelines and explain how it plans to enforce the
guidelines. Lieberman said removing such content should be “a
straightforward task since so many of the Islamist terrorist
organizations brand their material with logos or icons identifying
their provenance.”

However, YouTube in a response this afternoon, said taking those
actions was not so simple and refused to remove all videos mentioning
or featuring these groups without consideration of whether the videos
were legal, nonviolent or non-hate speech videos.

“While we respect and understand his views, YouTube encourages free
speech and defends everyone's right to express unpopular points of
view,” the company said. “We believe that YouTube is a richer and more
relevant platform for users precisely because it hosts a diverse range
of views, and rather than stifle debate, we allow our users to view
all acceptable content and make up their own minds.”

The statement thanked Lieberman for alerting the company last week of
several videos which violated the company’s community guidelines and
that have subsequently been removed. However, the statement said that
“most of the videos, which did not contain violent or hate speech
content, were not removed because they do not violate our Community
Guidelines.”

YouTube’s community guidelines prohibit hate speech and ask users not
to post videos that show someone getting hurt, attacked or humiliated.
According to the YouTube Community Guidelines, users can flag videos
they feel are inappropriate, which may then be removed from the site
by the company after review.

Lieberman’s letter comes after his committee released a report,
“Violent Islamist Extremism, the Internet and the Homegrown Terrorist
Threat,” May 8 that said chatrooms, message boards and Web sites can
play critical roles in recruitment, indoctrination into violent
Islamist theology, linking radicalized individuals and providing
information to independent terrorists unaffiliated with organizations.
The report also said the government needs to develop a plan to counter
terrorist groups' increasing reliance on the Internet.

However, whatever federal strategy is developed may face scrutiny from
critics who say the committee’s May 8 report unfairly singled out
Muslims as possible extremists, in addition to civil libertarians and
privacy advocates concerned with protecting free speech and Internet
freedom.

John Morris, senior counsel at the Center for Democracy and
Technology, said  Lieberman’s letter was a practical impossibility
and  having sites such as YouTube pre-screen content would radically
change how the Internet is used.

YouTube noted in its statement that hundreds of thousands of videos
are uploaded to the site daily.

“The government can’t get involved in suppressing videos if the
content is not illegal,” Morris said, explaining that such a policy
would likely face stiff opposition from advocates of First Amendment
rights.