[Infowarrior] - ABC fawning over crippled DVRs

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue May 20 00:48:48 UTC 2008

 From the ABC 'upfront' event today where they pitch their various new
shows and themes for the coming seasons.   Blogged by the NYT, we see
yet another "benefit" of crippled DVR devices:

http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/upfronts-live-blogging-the-abc-upfront/

< - >

4:34: Here’s a fancy way to combat DVR use: cable video on demand with
fast-forwarding disabled. Mr. Shaw said media buyers should work with
networks to encourage the implementation of this form of V.O.D. (ABC
is already testing it in a small number of local markets.)

4:25: Now it’s time to remind advertisers that television is still the
dominant form of media. “Television is important to our viewers, your
customers,” said Mike Shaw, ABC’s sales chief.

Mr. Shaw discussed the impact of digital video recorder playback.
“It’s no surprise that the highest rated shows have the highest live
and recorded viewing,” he said.

< - >

These people just don't get it......DVRs are so popular and allow
shows to be popular BECAUSE folks can time-shift to watch them when
it's convenient AND do so in a manner condusive to their viewing
habits and interests -- ie, fast-forwarding through the commercials.

....and in related news, it seems NBC and Microsoft have re-ignited
the Broadcast Flag debate:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/05/16/microsoft-and-nbc-en.html

The more things change......