[Infowarrior] - FBI Director Praises Press @ NPC

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun May 18 14:51:42 UTC 2008

Robert S. Mueller, III
Director
Federal Bureau of Investigation

National Press Club
Washington, D.C.
May 16, 2008

Good afternoon. It’s good to be here with you today.

  New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd once said, “Wooing the press
is an exercise roughly akin to picnicking with a tiger. You might
enjoy the meal, but the tiger always eats last.” I did indeed enjoy
the meal, but I am struck with the notion that I am now at the podium
and many of you still look quite hungry.

Those of you who have heard me speak before know that I often talk
about our top priorities in the FBI, or about a particular program,
such as terrorism or cyber crime. Today, I want to take a different
tack.

This summer, the FBI will celebrate its 100th anniversary.
Coincidentally, the National Press Club also celebrates its 100th
anniversary this year. With that backdrop, I thought it appropriate to
talk about what the FBI and the press have in common, which is a
mission to serve the public good.

< - >

http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/speeches/mueller051608.htm