[Infowarrior] - USAF Cyber Command sending DMCA notices

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Mar 9 23:15:07 UTC 2008

Link to the AFCC video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkskj7cHiRE
-or-
www.infowarrior.org/users/rforno/USAF-CC-Promo.flv

Air Force Cyber Command's New Weapon: DMCA Notices
By Kevin Poulsen EmailMarch 07, 2008 | 2:13:37 PMCategories: Cover-Ups,
Cybarmageddon!

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/03/air-force-cyber.html

It's cyber war! Lawyers representing the Air Force's elite electronic
warriors have sent YouTube a DMCA takedown notice demanding the removal of
the 30-second spot the Air Force created to promote its nascent Cyber
Command. We'd uploaded the video to share with THREAT LEVEL readers.

How quickly alliances shift in the murky new world of Cyberarmageddon. It
was just last month that the Air Force sent us the ad, and thanked THREAT
LEVEL for agreeing to run it. The spot shows earnest airmen deftly thwarting
a hacker attack on the Pentagon using Minority Report-type touch-and-drag
screens. I'm certain hundreds, if not thousands, of geeks have already
enlisted as a result of our patriotic shilling for the Air Force.

Now, though, it seems we're just another cyber enemy to be squashed like so
many Chinese DDoSers or unsanctioned blogs. Was it something I said?

But Air Force marketing chief Keith Lebling, who sent us the spot in the
first place, says any intellectual property claim should have gone through
his office, and none did.

U.S. Government works aren't even copyrightable. YouTube doesn't know that
-- presumably because it has no lawyers -- and it's taken down the video. A
spokeswoman said in an e-mail that the Google-owned service has no choice
but to comply with DMCA notices. That's not quite right, though. YouTube has
no legal obligation to remove non-infringing content.

Fortunately, we have our own servers. You can see the restored Cyber Command
ad below. Catch it before someone drops an EMP bomb down our chimney.

Update: YouTube has sent along the DMCA notice (.pdf). It's signed by
Meredith Pikser, an attorney with international law firm Reed Smith LLP, on
behalf of the Air Force.

Kurt Opsahl at EFF notes that, notwithstanding Pikster's sworn statement,
the Air Force website promoting the video contains this language in its
privacy policy: "Information presented on the Air Force Recruiting website
is considered public information and may be distributed or copied."