[Infowarrior] - Speaking of tasers, a question

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jun 17 11:35:54 UTC 2008

(cc'd a few places)

Funny how we read and see "taser abuse" stories on a regular basis yet
not many stories about "abusive shootings".

One thing that's bugged me about tasers and other so-called "non-
lethal weapons" such as sticky foam, slick suds, laser dazzlers, sonic
beams, heat waves, and other technologies is that it makes it far more
likely that the person wielding it will shoot-first since they know it
likely won't kill the target.

I always believe that (in terms of military NLWs) that blood, injury,
and death makes war unpalatble to most (civilized) people and as a
result serves as a rudimentary form of deterrent to civilized
societies.  Know that a cop will SHOOT you vice TASE you, and you'll
likely give them a moment of your time instead of running from them.
That sends a very strong message of "don't f--k with the cops (when
properly) doing their jobs."

I daresay if you remove the blood, injury, and potential for death
from the employment of a weapon or other 'personnel control device'
for the military or law enforcement, you end up making it far more
likely such items will be used frequently, if not abused -- but the
end result is a form of social control that appears "safer" and more
"humane" and thus more "agreeable" to people because it offers a "way
out" for mistakes and avoiding accountability for its employment.

Think about it:  if you wrongly taser someone, your job is likely safe
because you "didn't shoot" or kill the target and even if you were
wrong, the victim didn't "suffer" much -- but if you wrongly shoot
(and/or kill) someone your career likely is over because,
well....injury or death by gunfire is so disturbing to modern
society.  So perhaps the taser also is viewed as a silent form of job
security for law enforcement and less about providing them a
"graduated response" to perceived threats?

Anyone else feel the same way?  Opinions will be collected and shared
with all.

-rf