[Infowarrior] - UK v US legisator contrasts on civil liberties

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jun 16 11:33:15 UTC 2008

British debate highlights the cravenness and complicity of
congressional Democratic "leaders"

The intense and escalating political dispute in Britain over civil
liberties is interesting in its own right, but it also vividly
illustrates how craven and barren our own political system -- and the
U.S. Democratic Party -- have become. The sacrifices now being made by
British politicians of all parties in opposition to expanded
government detention and surveillance powers is, with a few noble
exceptions, exactly what our political elite in the Bush era have been
-- and still are -- too afraid or too craven to undertake. As the
Democratic Party prepares this week to endorse the Bush
administration's illegal spying program and immunize telecoms which
deliberately broke our surveillance laws for years, these contrasts
become even more acute.

< - >

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/06/15/britain/