[Infowarrior] - The Future Of Social Isn’t Content Spewing (I Hope)

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jun 2 12:15:04 UTC 2008

The Future Of Social Isn’t Content Spewing (I Hope)
Michael Arrington

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/06/02/the-future-of-social-isnt-content-spewing-i-hope/

A conversation broke out today on the future of social media.

Venture capitalist Fred Wilson says his vision for the future of
social media is very simply

“every single human being posting their thoughts and experiences in
any number of ways to the Internet.”

Putting aside the fact that most people just don’t want to publish
online (and perhaps never will), I still think this vision is
incredibly narrow.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not arguing that online publishing isn’t
interesting. Scott Karp’s recent rant that user generated content is
“a new form of pollution” and extolling people to publish less, for
example, is almost not worth responding to.

I don’t agree with Karp, who’s taking a side that also happens to
promote the ideas of his new startup, but I’m not sure focusing on
services that simply help people publish their life experiences is all
that interesting either. Back in 2000 it was fairly hard to do things
like write a blog, publish photos (don’t even think about videos back
then), or share bookmarks. Today, all that stuff is easy, and in fact
there are so many blogging platforms, social networks, bookmarking
sites, photo/video sharing services, etc., that consumers are getting
overwhelmed with choices that differ only name, it seems. Hell, we
even have a micro publishing platform that limits posts to a single
word.

Now that there are services for virtually every kind of content that
users might conceivably want to publish, we need open standards and
businesses to emerge that help people link all their disconnected
content together into a single online identity - the Centralized Me.
This stuff is badly needed because our content is all of the place on
the Internet. And it’s unlikely the big guys are going to do the right
things for the community without being significant pressure. This
isn’t necessarily sexy stuff, but it’s important.

Let’s Make All This Online Content Go To Work For us

The future of social media, I hope, isn’t in more tools to help us
spew more content. Instead, we need ideas and technology that can
leverage all this available online content (including status and
activity streams) to enhance real world social interactions.

The mobile device will be the center of this world. Forget using that
device to simply publish content (although it is particularly suited
to publish location data, photos and video content). Your mobile
device should help you filter out people around you to bring mutually-
interested people together. And it should also help you remember key
information about the people you already know.

Perhaps that’s exactly what Fred meant when he wrote his vision, but
it sure looks like he’s focused on simply recording the stuff of life
and getting it onto the Internet. That seems like a commodity business
to me. It’s enhancing (and in the process controlling to some extent)
all the ways people interact with each other that’s the exciting stuff
we’ll be seeing shortly. Remember, the word “social” is there for a
reason. The Internet isn’t just about broadcasting and consuming, its
about interaction.