[Infowarrior] - Ask The Pilot: A GOOD commentary on TSA

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jul 11 03:43:02 UTC 2008

This Salon article is penned by a current commercial pilot flying for
a major airline.  It explains much of what is wrong with the notion of
'passenger screening' at the circus known as airport security
checkpoints.  While the article is too long to repost in its entirety,
it's certainly worth reading.  However, I encourage you to resist the
urge to break something over your computer monitor afterward.  (You
have been warned.)  Coming from someone "on the inside" as a
commercial pilot, he presents a unique view and echoes what many
competent security folks have beein saying and advising for years.

Article at:  http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/07/11/askthepilot283/print.html

Toward the end of this article was this gem, which I think deserves
special mention, as I think it truly reflects the attitude taken by
the USG in pursuing the impossible goal of ensuring "zero risks" to
the "homeland -- namely, that a) appearance and *perceived*
effectiveness of the state security apparatus is a paramount goal of
homeland security (as opposed to truly effective results) and b) "shut
up and do what you're told" (ie, the creation of a compliant and
docile citizenry) has become an acceptable part of the New Normal in
America.     I, for one, neither am reassured nor comforted by these
realities.

--rick / infowarrior.org

< - >

To scare away complainers, TSA is also deploying signs at airports
around the country. "Interfering with security personnel or procedures
in any manner," the signs read, "is prohibited."

That "in any manner" bit is an eyebrow raiser. Does that include
questioning or challenging TSA's methods? Are guards not answerable to
those they're supposedly protecting, and who are paying their
salaries? How about a sign that cuts to the chase: "Don't question us,
just do as you're told."

And what does "prohibited" mean, exactly? What sort of a threat is
that? We ask because although it does not have law enforcement powers,
TSA has begun issuing navy-blue uniforms and silver, cop-style badges.
Not by accident, the badges look exactly like the kind worn by actual
police officers. They say "U.S. Officer" at the top, with an eagle
emblem in the center and "Transportation Security Administration"
across the bottom. Not all law enforcement officials are happy.

The agency will tell you this is a way of enhancing the TSA's image,
but in reality it's a method of coercion. Speaking in a USA Today
article, TSA spokeswoman Ellen Howe said, "Some of our officers aren't
respected." It's not often that I laugh out loud while reading the
newspaper, but that one had me going. You don't say.

In the same article, a screener at Boston's Logan International said
of the new badges and shirts, "It'll go a long way to enhance the
respect of this workforce."

No, sorry, that's not it. You don't bully and fool people into
respecting you. If TSA wants respect, it can start with a radical
overhaul of its policies, replacing the rules we have with ones that
are sensible and effective.