[Infowarrior] - USAF Cyber Command, explained

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jan 25 12:38:56 UTC 2008

Noah hits this dead-on correctly!!!   --rf

Air Force's New Target: Phishing
By Noah Shachtman EmailJanuary 25, 2008

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/01/air-forces-new.html

In an interview with Network World, Lt. Gen. Robert Elder reveals some of
the areas of the Air Force's new cyber command:

>     Phishing, for example, is a type of attack. We're arming airmen with the
> skills to recognize a phishing attack.
>
> and
>
>     People need to be careful about clicking on links . . . .

Nothing like building a command around the need to defend against a
decades-old problem and the laziness of end-users. Still, we should give
credit where it is due: the first to the fight is usually the one who takes
home the biggest purse of taxpayer funds.

What is usually left out of discussions like this is the fact that all kinds
of military efforts to defend networks have been in place for years. What
has always been lacking, however, is the will to enforce existing
information security policy. When your author was helping defend Defense
Department networks the compliance rate in response to warnings about
network flaws and patching procedures was just south of dismal. The solution
has been not to hold people accountable and let the system work, but to
build a larger bureaucracy and build more systems (surprise).