[Infowarrior] - Security List: Don't Talk About Holes, Or We'll Report You

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Feb 5 12:57:58 UTC 2008

(c/o ISN)

Security List: Don't Talk About Holes, Or We'll Report You

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/02/scada-security.html

By Kevin Poulsen
Wired.com
February 04, 2008

There's a new industry-run mailing list [1] to foster discussion of
security issues on SCADA systems -- the aging and insecure computerized
control networks behind the electric grid and other critical
infrastructures. But watch what you say.

 From the announcement e-mail [2]:

    Due to heightened security and awareness levels worldwide, ALL
    MESSAGES ARE WATCHED CAREFULLY.  Violators who report methods that
    are going to disable, damage, dismember, destroy, or disarm any
    control system, SCADA device, or infrastructure will be reported to
    DHS (and/or their respective national or federal authority).

Only the SCADA community could conceive of a mailing list that tries to
get you arrested for discussing security issues. And we wonder why SCADA
is still insecure.