[Infowarrior] - Copy of RIAA's new enforcement notice to ISPs

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Dec 19 17:50:30 UTC 2008

  December 19, 2008 8:55 AM PST
Copy of RIAA's new enforcement notice to ISPs
Posted by Greg Sandoval

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10127050-93.html

The recording industry dropped some big news Friday, announcing that
it will no longer take a broad approach to litigating against alleged
filed sharers. The Recording Industry Association of America has
enlisted the help of internet service providers to act as a sentry and
help discourage customers from pirating music.

Below is a copy of the form letter the RIAA will send to ISPs to
inform them one of their customers is accused of file sharing. The
notification is similar to those the group has sent to college
campuses for years and shows very clearly that the group retains the
right to sue people for copyright violations.

     VIA EMAIL
     *ISP*
     *Date*

     Sir or Madam:

     I am contacting you on behalf of the Recording Industry
Association of America, Inc. (RIAA) and its member music companies.
The RIAA is a trade association whose member companies create,
manufacture, and distribute approximately ninety (90) percent of all
legitimate music sold in the United States.

     We believe a user on your network is offering an infringing sound
recording for download through a peer to peer application. We have
attached below the details of the infringing activity.

     We have a good faith belief that this activity is not authorized
by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. We are asking for your
immediate assistance in stopping this illegal activity. Specifically,
we respectfully request that you remove or disable access to the
unauthorized music.

     We believe it is in everyone's interest for music consumers to be
better educated about the copyright law and ways to legally enjoy
music online. The major record companies have actively licensed their
music to dozens of innovative services where fans can go to listen to
and/or purchase their favorite songs. A list of many of these services
is available at www.musicunited.org.

     It should be made clear by this letter that downloading and
distributing copyrighted songs via peer to peer networks is not an
anonymous activity. Not only is distributing copyrighted works on a
peer to peer network a public activity visible by other users on that
network, an historic 2005 U.S. Supreme Court decision affirmed the
unmistakable unlawfulness of uploading and downloading copyrighted
works. The website www.musicunited.org contains valuable information
about what is legal and what is not when it comes to copying music. In
addition to taking steps to notify the network user at issue about the
illegal nature of his/her activity, we strongly encourage you to refer
him/her to this helpful site.

     Please bear in mind that this letter serves as an official notice
to you that this network user may be liable for the illegal activity
occurring on your network. This letter does not constitute a waiver of
our members' rights to recover or claim relief for damages incurred by
this illegal activity, nor does it waive the right to bring legal
action against the user at issue for engaging in music theft. We
assert that the information in this notice is accurate, based upon the
data available to us. Under penalty of perjury, we submit that the
RIAA is authorized to act on behalf of its member companies in matters
involving the infringement of their sound recordings, including
enforcing their copyrights and common law rights on the Internet.

     Thank you in advance for your prompt assistance in this matter.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via e-mail
at antipiracy2 at riaa.com, via telephone at *Phone Number*, or via mail
at RIAA, 1025 F Street, NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20004.
Please reference *Case ID* in any response or communication regarding
this matter.

     Sincerely,

     RIAA

     List of infringing content