[Infowarrior] - Congressional Hypocracy

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Dec 19 17:15:38 UTC 2008

Funny how they never vote on an across-the-board pay raise for us.
I'd like an extra $4700 for my salary, please.  And in this economy?
Talk about chutzpah.  Unbelievable.  --rf

Disclosure: I used to work for the US House in the mid-90s.

With economy in shambles, Congress gets a raise
By Jordy Yager

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/with-economy-in-shambles-congress-gets-a-raise-2008-12-17.html

A crumbling economy, more than 2 million constituents who have lost
their jobs this year, and congressional demands of CEOs to work for
free did not convince lawmakers to freeze their own pay.

Instead, they will get a $4,700 pay increase, amounting to an
additional $2.5 million that taxpayers will spend on congressional
salaries, and watchdog groups are not happy about it.

“As lawmakers make a big show of forcing auto executives to accept
just $1 a year in salary, they are quietly raiding the vault for their
own personal gain,” said Daniel O’Connell, chairman of The Senior
Citizens League (TSCL), a non-partisan group. “This money would be
much better spent helping the millions of seniors who are living below
the poverty line and struggling to keep their heat on this winter.”

However, at 2.8 percent, the automatic raise that lawmakers receive is
only half as large as the 2009 cost of living adjustment of Social
Security recipients.

Still, Steve Ellis, vice president of the budget watchdog Taxpayers
for Common Sense, said Congress should have taken the rare step of
freezing its pay, as lawmakers did in 2000.

“Look at the way the economy is and how most people aren’t counting on
a holiday bonus or a pay raise — they’re just happy to have gainful
employment,” said Ellis. “But you have the lawmakers who are set up
and ready to get their next installment of a pay raise and go happily
along their way.”

Member raises are often characterized as examples of wasteful
spending, especially when many constituents and businesses in members’
districts are in financial despair.

Rep. Harry Mitchell, a first-term Democrat from Arizona, sponsored
legislation earlier this year that would have prevented the automatic
pay adjustments from kicking in for members next year. But the bill,
which attracted 34 cosponsors, failed to make it out of committee.

“They don’t even go through the front door. They have it set up so
that it’s wired so that you actually have to undo the pay raise rather
than vote for a pay raise,” Ellis said.

Freezing congressional salaries is hardly a new idea on Capitol Hill.

Lawmakers have floated similar proposals in every year dating back to
1995, and long before that. Though the concept of forgoing a raise has
attracted some support from more senior members, it is most popular
with freshman lawmakers, who are often most vulnerable.

In 2006, after the Republican-led Senate rejected an increase to the
minimum wage, Democrats, who had just come to power in the House with
a slew of freshmen, vowed to block their own pay raise until the wage
increase was passed. The minimum wage was eventually increased and
lawmakers received their automatic pay hike.

In the beginning days of 1789, Congress was paid only $6 a day, which
would be about $75 daily by modern standards. But by 1965 members were
receiving $30,000 a year, which is the modern equivalent of about
$195,000.

Currently the average lawmaker makes $169,300 a year, with leadership
making slightly more. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) makes
$217,400, while the minority and majority leaders in the House and
Senate make $188,100.

Ellis said that while freezing the pay increase would be a step in the
right direction, it would be better to have it set up so that members
would have to take action, and vote, for a pay raise and deal with the
consequences, rather than get one automatically.

“It is probably never going to be politically popular to raise
Congress’s salary,” he said. “I don’t think you’re going to find
taxpayers saying, ‘Yeah I think I should pay my congressman more’.”